Author Topic: A rider ...  (Read 166453 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: A rider ...
« Reply #375 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:34 AM »
Ok I've stepped out side of my box again so here we go. Are you using a factory gasket on the compression plate if so try making one out of thicker stock. Maybe weak vacuum to pull fuel mixture into the piston. Therefore it stays in the crank and finely floods the spark out. Well that's all I can fine out here right now but I will keep looking maybe there something around back of my box I will check there soon. Hope you hit the cause soon I know how it drains the will but there is a fix out there somewhere.  :-\

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 29, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »
Reese ,

I'm using a gasket I cut from bulk rubberized gasket material . It's ( was ) close to .020" thick . I've been thinking of cutting one out of cork . That's a bit thicker and would likely fill any deformation .

It's worth a shot . 
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: March 29, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
Pete, I think your problem is carb related.  I am just guessing, but I'd bet someone overtightened the metering screws at one point in time and messed up the seats.  I would buy one of those reproduction carbs from Carpenter and try that.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 29, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »
Rick ,

I have to agreed that the limited running issue is carb related . The fuel in the crankcase was not known at the beginning and the quitting after getting hot is characteristic of a bad coil . Through all this , I think I've singled out the best components that I currently have .
And , I think you may be right about the seats being messed up .
  I haven't tried the four hole meter tube yet , which I think will , at least , lessen the amount of fuel in the crankcase . There was less after I soldered the holes that I drilled in the tube . So ...

Then there's always the Carpenter carb .

I've thought about a better seal at the rotary valve port in the crank . I think a better seal there would help . Something I'll have to work on . Is the crank diameter at the port the same as the inside diameter of the main bearing ?  It seemed pretty close , if I remember right .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 29, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
I did cut and install a cork gasket for the side covers .

I'm not sure , but the last side cover screw felt like it was letting loose . Not sure if the threads pulled or the screw broke . I'll find out tomorrow .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 31, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »
Does anyone know of a decent thread repair for 8 - 32 screws ?
I suppose a heli coil might do .
I'm not sure I want to up the screw size to 10 - 24 .

These screws are to hold the compression and side plates to the crankcase .
I was afraid this might happen with all the on / off activity of my side plates . :(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:54:53 PM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: April 01, 2013, 06:59:22 AM »
I've never seen repair kits that small. Have you looked at metric sizes? You may get to go bigger without going to big.  8)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 01, 2013, 07:55:37 AM »
I'm still researching , Reese .

I might have to go a size bigger . Either USS or Metric . I'm not sure how deep the hole is . It's one of the two top most holes just under the jug . If there's enough metal there , I might be able to just go a bit deeper and use the same thread size but longer screw .

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 01, 2013, 05:53:07 PM »
I crashed my Simplex this afternoon .
Hit some gravel . The front wheel was of no use . I was down and skidding in a nanosecond .
I'm glad the crash bars are as stout as they are . The crash bar and the license plate holder were the only things scratched up . Other than the requisite road rash and dented pride and side of the rider . The bike even kept running while on it's side and on top of me . Maybe me being a human cushion helped minimize the damage to the bike . I'm sure I'll feel worse , tomorrow .
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:14:14 PM by pd »

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: April 01, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
I am glad youe ok and nothing got damaged too bad, and the bike faired ok also. I came close to a wipe out on my second ride and talk about gravel I live on a rocked county road. Try travling 30mph on nothing but gravel now that's what you call fun. At least it was running.  ;D

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: April 01, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
Maybe this bike was originally a circus bike & will only run well when it's sideways, like those guys who ride the motorcycles in circles inside those metal spheres!  All you need now is one of those evil knievel suits!!!
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 01, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »
I think I'm probably worse off than the bike .

10 minutes and a little paint and the bike will be good to go .

As for me , the pain of a possible bruised rib or two and a couple weeks for the rash to heal . Hopefully that's all it takes .

If I'd worn one of those suits I'd likely be in much better shape . :D

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
How you feeling today Pete?  I hope you heal up quickly!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »
Surprisingly , I feel much better than I'd anticipated . I'm a bit sore in the ribs and if i bump the rash just right ...

I should be back to outrunning the Simplex  =in no time at all . ;)

Thanks for asking .

Pete . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
I thought it was an April fools joke.  :o

Glad to hear you are ok.