Author Topic: Help on parts list for upgrade for street riding  (Read 14800 times)

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
Help on parts list for upgrade for street riding
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
I would like to pass-by my plans for upgrading my 1945 Servi-Cycle for your comments and help.

Engine:   Predator 212cc   $139.99       Harbor Freight
CVT:   Comet TAV 30   $189.00      Gokartusa
50A coil   NR-Racing   $109.00      NR Racing
Flywheel   w/starter ring   $129.00      NR Racing
Starter   After Market   $149.99      NR-Racing

I will have a belt pulley made for the final drive to retain the original look and to keep cost down. Any suggestions as to the diameter of the pulley to be made? I am 6’5” and 225 pounds and want to be able to do a solid 60 MPH up our Missouri hills. I hope that this combination will do that. The stock setup just won’t cut it.

If any of the above are wrong or if you know of a better source, PLEASE comment.

I want to run lights so I won’t have to worry about after dark riding. I plan to hang the brake light from the bottom of the seat so I won’t have to modify the fender. I want to be able to return it to stock later.

The next thing I want to do is have a front brake. Any suggestions?

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help on parts list for upgrade for street riding
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »
Well,no help was fortcomming so I went ahead and bought a engine from Harbor freight for $149.00 with a 27 month extended warrantee ($99 for engine and $40p for extended). I have comming a CVT by Comet.

The wheels are the next problem. Workman has not returnedany of the calls I have made. They even answer the phone with a "Hello" and don't identify the company until asked.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get in touch with them please let me know.

Pirate offers Workman wheels, CB-W110 combo for $225, brake lever $20, sprocket adapter $45, and sprocket (40 tooth) $40.

Has anyone researched these or have any other suggestions?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. have lowered speed expectations to 45 after doing the math with this combination.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
I bought some worksman wheels a few years ago for a horseless carriage project & if I remember, it was all handled thru a phone call.  Not sure what's up now.  You might check out the horseless carriage replica website to see if they have a better link to the company (they used to).
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »
I've posted info about this in another thread.  Also, my 3 wheel truck tribute project has a 6.5 clone motor in it.  Did you see BJM's gc160 conversion?
Rick

rdolan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:21:07 PM »
I saw an electric starter kit for the honda motors that the clones were patterned after on ebay, complete kit on $99.  Can't beat that, assuming it fits your application. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350489127363?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My brother is building bikes with these motors mounted in an upright position.  They're really fast. Check his flikr page, you'll like what you see. He also has short video clips of the motors in action.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer

Also, a comment on the worksman wheels.  They're strong, we run em on our bikes, and then you are limited to bicycle tires.  With the added power of the clone motors, we decided we wanted better tires. So we've just sourced 80/90 x 21 Pirelli MT 66 tires and the plan is run the them on 21 x 1.60 motorcycle rims.  Rolling diameter is very close to std 26" bicycle stuff. There is a pic on Pat's flikr page that shows a tire mounted up sitting next to a worksman wheel.

Good luck!

rdolan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:15 PM »
Oh, and one more thing, I forgot to say you can get new worksman wheels from Pat at sportsmanflyer.com.  I might even have the components to build you a set.  I build the majority of the wheels for Pat and his customers.  If you run the predator motor, using a centrifugal clutch and a moped rear hub, or lightweight motorcycle hub is your best bet. The moped hubs are pretty good, have bolt on sprockets and if you run the Puch, or Lelue, you'll find they're near perfect match to the front worksman hubs, they even run the same brake shoes! The hardest part is getting the offset correct....

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:32:07 AM »
I just got a harbor freight sales flyer yesterday & it was showing these engines.  The pictures were too fuzzy to tell which way the crank turns, relative to the direction the cylinder points.  Which way do they go?  The blue "robin" motors they used to sell spun the wrong direction than I preferred & I had to mount the motor with the cylinder pointing backwards.  I guess it's not a big deal, but it kinda spoils the look.  I was impressed on how easy it was to start that engine (first pull right out of the box).
Mike Sal

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »
By the way, the Predator is NOT an exact copy of the GX200. It is  very close but some of the bosses on the block and the tins are slightly different. Nothing major and I probably would not have known if I hadn't choosen to install an electric starter.

When removing the governor everything looked the same inside.

Seems to be a well bilt engine otherwise.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »
Is the electric start kit going to fit?
Rick

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 06:40:30 PM »
it bolted up but it will be a while before I'll be able to start it.
Will let you know.

rdolan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
Affordablegocarts.com carries clone motors and they have the goodies in stock, look them up on web. Their prices are competitive with Harbor Frieght too.

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
 Ive dealt with Pirate Cycles very good cust. service. They list the Worksman wheels for less than Worksman does, and they are having a 10 percent off sale.

Kustomkarma

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:24:18 AM »
I'm still kicking around ideas for my build and was wondering if anyone has completely done away with the stock rear wheel and drive system and replaced it with a wheel or sprocket / hub from a motorcycle or moped. If so, what did you use?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »
I'm sure rdolan can answer this, but why?  The belt drive is one of the charms of the simplex.  No grease, quieter, smoother ride.
Rick

Kustomkarma

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »
I have a really tight budget to work with, so I'm exploring all kinds of different ideas. The belt drive is definitely neat, but I was thinking in terms of how much it will cost to adapt a modern engine, clutch, etc. along with the possibility that it might be hard to find all the parts I need to get the job done. I haven't decided on anything yet, but wanted to think about it from lots of different angles before I spend any money.