Author Topic: Early grips  (Read 294 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Early grips
« on: March 11, 2024, 09:24:11 PM »
I have been making some early dummy grips.  Jim Lokai is planning on bringing his direct drives to Portland this year and all of them have been missing the left grip.  The pics show my version of a reproduction.  I tried to match those of an early G model.

Jim sent one of his twist grips to me for dimensions.  I was pretty happy to see it as I had wondered how they worked.  They always seemed to be stiff but actually have a tension ring that make them that way.  Infinite cruise control!

I found some nice shrink tube that was sold as fishing pole grip (and other sport handles).  It had virtually no shrinkage long ways and it only shrank on the diameter.  I sent him enough grip material to do the right side on each bike as well. 

So now he will have matching grips.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Early grips
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 09:35:46 PM »
Here is what remains of a left grip on one of his bikes.  So between the G model pics and this one I feel like I was on the right track

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 08:08:46 AM »
Tom ,

Good job .
The mechanism looks interesting . And the spring is a simple but very nice touch .

But , those will never work . I mean look at the cross hatch ... not even close . LOL

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 06:25:28 AM »
PD.  Come to Portland. When everyone goes home we can chat under the tent again!!

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 09:42:32 AM »
Pretty cool. Always great to try to make similar parts to keep them looking like they did. I did not know what the earlier ones looked like.
Scooter

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 06:48:31 AM »
PD.  Come to Portland. When everyone goes home we can chat under the tent again!!

I would if I could , Tom . I remember . ;)

We'll be in Waldron until the 2nd of July . Then we can head toward Michigan . 

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 05:07:38 PM »
Recently I was reading through some of my literature and read that it was believed this throttle may have been made by Villiers.  So, I started searching and came up with this exploded view.  Looks like a match!  Then I noticed that they were used on Jawa motorcycles from 1934 to 1946 and maybe later.  That site listed new ones for about $150.00.  Slightly different.