Author Topic: Looking for a Symplex motorcycle  (Read 11025 times)

Ian

• View Profile
    • Email
Looking for a Symplex motorcycle
« on: January 30, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
Like the heading says I am looking for a Symplex motorcycle. I am looking for the automatic I would prefer a decent running one but if one came up without a powertrain I would consider that as well please get back to me thank you

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for a Symplex motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
Welcome Ian!  Where do you hail from?

What is your goal? Are you looking to restore a bike to stock, or are you more interested in a non original rider?  The reason I ask is, if you buy a bike without a motor and transmission, you will have a very hard time finding those two items.  If you are thinking non stock powertrain, it will be easier to find a rolling chassis and convert to other motors.

Good luck in your search!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:56:11 PM »
Welcome Ian .... :)

How far are you willing to go for 'your' bike ? Travel wise , I mean .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ian

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:54:43 PM »

What is your goal? Are you looking to restore a bike to stock, or are you more interested in a non original rider?  The reason I ask is, if you buy a bike without a motor and transmission, you will have a very hard time finding those two items.  If you are thinking non stock powertrain, it will be easier to find a rolling chassis and convert to other motors.

Ian

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Welcome Ian .... :)

How far are you willing to go for 'your' bike ? Travel wise , I mean .

hello I'm struggling a little with this website. Thanks for responding. I live in British Columbia Canada. I would prefer to find something in the Northwest but for the right piece could make arrangements to have it come from anywhere
          Ideally I would like to find something   Rideable that looks good. I don't mind playing with it next winter but would like to have a little fun this summer with it. If I found one with no powertrain it would then become a winter project.  Stock is best but again would  consider minus   Powertrain
          I have the feeling that the Symplex will be my new  addiction
 Regards Ian

Ian

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 04:19:41 PM »

Hello Rick thanks for answering
             I live in Kelowna  British Columbia    I am looking for something that I could ride around and play with in the summer  ideally something that looks decent and is semi-reliable. After a lot of reading and looking at photos I think the Symplex will be my new toy and addiction 
 If there is a rolling chassis out there I would then convert  which would become a next winter project   Again preferably something that looks good but I can have some summer fun with would be ideal. I don't mind arranging shipping or driving into the northwest to pick one up thank you and best regards Ian

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »
Ian, Howdy from deep down here in Texas. I hope you find something close. I find only one rolling chassis on eBay # 121876517881 it's a little high in price but it's one of the old ones. There was one that ended a week or so back and it was a complete restoration. # 291662370133 it did not sell and it may still be available. If you don't find anything soon please feel free to come to the Portland IN. in late July.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »
Even if you do find your bike , come to Portland .

Ian

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »
Ian, Howdy from deep down here in Texas. I hope you find something close. I find only one rolling chassis on eBay # 121876517881 it's a little high in price but it's one of the old ones. There was one that ended a week or so back and it was a complete restoration. # 291662370133 it did not sell and it may still be available. If you don't find anything soon please feel free to come to the Portland IN. in late July.

Hello and thank you for your help. That one is gone. I do come to Texas quite a bit. If there was one around your area I could have one of my friends or family pick it up. So if you do hear of something I would be happy if you would let me know  thank you again

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
Hasn't that guy been asking the same price for at least 6 months ? The "REDUCED" seems new .

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
Heck...I'd consider selling mine for that price...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 01:34:10 PM »
Heck...I'd consider selling mine for that price...

And yours is way nicer than that bike.  Did you see the gas tank on the conversion engine?  I wonder if the stock tank is so rusted out it wouldn't hold fuel?
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
Thanks Rick.   As for the gas tank being rusted out, that's exactly what I was wondering?...Why else would they keep the gas tank on the engine?  I see he kept/used the original muffler on the motor also, and someone just bolted-on a chain drive TAV unit instead of using a heavier duty Comet clutch set-up to run a drive sheave.  Don't get me wrong...I love my Servicycle and it's been a lot of fun to build and drive.  I just can't drive it to/from work like my other "regular" motorcycle, so it sits in my living room most of it's life except on the occasional weekend afternoon during our short summers in Minnesota.  I could use the money from it to build another project bike in order to keep busy. (idle hands/devils work thing LOL) 

Ian

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:17 PM »
Like the heading says I am looking for a Symplex motorcycle. I am looking for the automatic I would prefer a decent running one but if one came up without a powertrain I would consider that as well please get back to me thank you

Well I thank every body for trying to spot a bike for me
 I was able to buy one one from one of your members. I will not mention his name as I did not ask if it would be ok.

I am looking forward to my new ride and will see you all in Portland
  Thank you all