Author Topic: 1937 Simplex  (Read 2503 times)

hoser1

• View Profile
1937 Simplex
« on: April 15, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »
The Simplex that I'm going to look at this weekend is supposedly a 1937. It is missing a few things and I'm wondering if they would be avail or impossible to find. It is missing the  front fender braces and the whole kickstand foot peg system. If I had pictures and measurements I might be able to replicate them. Just wondering if this will be impossible and not worth the effort. Hate to see a relic lost. Any reply would be appreciated. Thanks, Garry

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1937 Simplex
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 05:42:22 PM »
Sounds interesting to me.  I would think the foot peg assembly could certainly be remade.  Small things can eventually be obtained. There are some decent photos posted here and we know where some bikes are that more photos could be taken of.  But what about the engine,  throttle and hand controls, etc.?  Where do you live? is the bike close to you?

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 07:26:15 PM »
I've only seen one picture. The throttle is there and brake handle. No motor. It Has front and rear brakes, fenders and it looks like most of the hard parts. The gas tank is original center fill. It is about an hour away. I don't know anything about Simplex except that I have always thought they were neet. Other what I have been able to find on this great site so we'll have to look and decide then. It is a Ca. bike so little rust(I hope), but we will see. Hope I make the right decision. I'm old with cancer so was hoping to build it with my Grandson and Son as a final project. Will send pictures when  I get back. Thanks for the quick response. Garry

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 05:39:14 PM »
Went to see the 1937 simplex today. Unfortunately there have been a lot of mods done to the frame, generic headlight  and there were some Whizzer parts including fenders , tail light etc. The hard to find parts were missing, but there were some good parts like tank, front and rear brakes. If it was cheap enough, the possibilities were there, but at $700.00 firm it didn't seem worth it. I'll keep looking. Who knows. Thanks again for the welcome. Garry.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 03:13:49 AM »
Thanks for the update.   Was hoping....!

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
Thanks. I should have asked for more pics, but he is not into computers. I am working on another project and am considering a Simplex front end. Are they available and what would be a fair price for one in decent shape? I saw a couple on ebay, but didn't know if that would be fair price and condition or possibly some one on here has something they would sell? Thanks for any information.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »
I think a fair price for a front end is around $200-250. 

Too bad you didn’t take any pictures of the 37, I would have like to have seen it.  Where is it located?
Rick

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply about the front end. I have one picture and tried to post it, but it didn't work. I'll keep trying. The bike is in Yorba Linda Ca. I can get the address if you are interested. Garry

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »
Until I can find a Simplex project I will work on another project. I have an extra 1948 CZ frame and misc. parts. I need a front end. Can anyone tell me the length of a Simple  frame head  and the dia. if the fork tube. The frame that I have, the head tube is 5 1/4" long and the stock bearing races are approx. 1.5" in dia. I was thinking with diff bearings the Simplex front end may work. Any Ideas. Simplex is at the top of the list, but until then I need something to do. Thanks for any possible help. Garry

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »
Center tube is 1' OD.

I will get more dimensions if needed.

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 12:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the measurements. I think that will do for now. I may have a second look at the 37 and will at least take pictures. He also has a Villiers motor for sale. Not running, no carb, but otherwise seems complete. The frame was modified to fit this motor, but not done well.  Any idea if that would work in the Simplex and approx. value? Or is this asking for trouble?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 04:04:51 PM »
How are you determining the bike for sale is a 1937?  The numbers are on the engine only, so without that how do you know? If you look at it again, measure the OD of the frame uprights under the seat. Take a picture of the handlebar gooseneck.  Take a picture of the brake backing plates. This will give us a good indication of what it is.

What kind of fabrication abilities do you have.  If you had a pair of front end rockers, could you fabricate the rest? A Simplex front end is relatively simple.  I am currently restoring a 1939, and recently made a new threaded neck for the front end, which is the most technically difficult part.  I could probably supply a set of the rockers and a threaded neck if needed.
Rick

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 04:35:20 PM »
Thanks Rick. As for the date I'm going by what the seller says and he is a Whizzer guy so who knows. The only thing that I know about Simplex is what I have picked up here. This is a very informative site. I will take as many pics as I can. One of the uprights has been cut off to make room for the Villiers motor, but I can measure the other. I used to build street rods, but being 77 now I have sold most of the equipment that I had. I may have to take you up on the rockers and neck .Thanks for the reply and interest. Garry

hoser1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 01:06:16 PM »
I ended up buying the simplex and a Villiers motor. The down tube measures 0.72 " in dia. I'm trying to figure out how to post pics. I will keep trying. Most of the bike looks original except for the fenders and frame modifications. It does have both front and rear brakes. I hate to see something that has possibilities paired out, but I don't have a lot to spend on it. Is it worth it? I am looking for a final project, so time isn't a concern, but it will have to be sold at some point. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Garry

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 02:00:44 PM »
Gary, email the pictures to me.

Simplexservicycle@gmail.com
Rick