Author Topic: WICO COIL  (Read 22078 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: WICO COIL
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
Ok guys I've got a motor question. If you remove the shaft and are going to take out the bearings how many parts will there be. I find four parts total, one that goes in the main bearing the center comes out easy. The other side there's a metal bushing in front of a bearing that also comes out easy. these bearings look to be in great shape so how do you tell if there bad?  ???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Reese ,

The bearings in my motor would slightly stiffen when I turned the centers to a certain point . Not a lot , but enough to say the rotation was not smooth all the way around . When I spun the crank , while in the block , I could hear the uneven noise the bearings made . New bearings smoothed everything .

For the cost of new bearings , I think the peace of mind is worth the effort , not to mention you'll know exactly what you have .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2014, 04:20:55 AM »
I agree with Pete.

Here is where I buy my bearings.  Good selection and price is reasonable.  They have all the ones you need, from the mains, rod, breaker plate and transmission bearings.

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/
Rick

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2014, 05:14:27 AM »
I ordered the nova 2 off of ebay last night, you can buy 2 of them for $23, or buy 1 for $13, I just got the one, I'm gonna play with it when I get my parts from Wayne and see if I can makes sparks fly, if it don't work, I still will have the points and condenser from wayne. I would still like to find out how to make it work w/o any ignition from the magneto...I think that is what Bruce is talking about???

You still need the coils and flywheels. This is just a trigger, as far as I can see.
  okay if its a trigger.. id still want it on the outside of the flywheel..dont these buggers crack when on and off alot?   a whizzer has a magnet maybe 1/2"x1/2" and it works like theres no tommorow.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
I ordered the nova 2 off of ebay last night, you can buy 2 of them for $23, or buy 1 for $13, I just got the one, I'm gonna play with it when I get my parts from Wayne and see if I can makes sparks fly, if it don't work, I still will have the points and condenser from wayne. I would still like to find out how to make it work w/o any ignition from the magneto...I think that is what Bruce is talking about???

You still need the coils and flywheels. This is just a trigger, as far as I can see.
  okay if its a trigger.. id still want it on the outside of the flywheel..dont these buggers crack when on and off alot?   a whizzer has a magnet maybe 1/2"x1/2" and it works like theres no tommorow.

Crack ? Why would they do that ?

They are solid state , housed in a metal cup and capped with some type of heat dispersant goo . 

Honda used the same type trigger in bikes of early '80s vintage . Never heard of one cracking , even after 30 years . Some had the goo melt out , but they still worked fine .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »
Well I ordered two today to try when I put my motors back together again.  ::)

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
I meant that the flywheels crack....so I'd want my ignition on the outside

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
Can't say I ever saw a cracked Simplex flywheel , either . I've seen a couple that the hub was not right , but never cracked . They are made pretty hefty . I'm sure it would take a lot more than one of these little Simplex motors to tear one up , unless the wheel was way out of balance .
And , so what if it did crack . It would have to be removed for replacement and very doubtful that any of it would ever touch the Nova .

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:50:33 PM by pd »

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
I hafta be more clearer from the start more!  I'd heard the flywheels have a tendacy to split near the key,on the hub center. I figured repeated pulls of the old parts could be risky...that's all.  Never thought what's inside could be damaged.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
I hafta be more clearer from the start more!  I'd heard the flywheels have a tendacy to split near the key,on the hub center. I figured repeated pulls of the old parts could be risky...that's all.  Never thought what's inside could be damaged.

IMHO, the flywheels simplex used probably would never have a problem IF the people who worked on them knew what they were doing!  Using the tool simplex included in the early years or using the pinion gear as the tool. the flywheel comes right off without any drama.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
What does the tool to remove the flywheel look like? Is it something that can be made pretty easy?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
What does the tool to remove the flywheel look like? Is it something that can be made pretty easy?

It is just a flat disc of steel with holes for the flywheel pinion studs.  You can just use the pinion gear itself.

Here is the procedure:

1:  remove pinion gear
2:  loosen flywheel nut until it is flush with end of crank
3:  reinstall pinion gear, and slowly tighten the nuts, turning each one about 1 turn at a time until the flywheel pops loose
4:  remove the pinion gear
5:  remove the flywheel nut the rest of the way
6:  remove the flywheel

Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »
Mounted the Nova 2 ignition the other day. I ordered the coils, points,and condenser from Wayne, and got everything mounted and tucked in behind the flywheel, and couldn't get it to fire for nothing. Ran the coil wire outside of the mag plate and hooked up the nova 2, and it fired right now. I haven't put gas in it and tried to start it, but if the timing is right and it starts up, I think I'm gonna bypass points and condenser all together.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
" I think I'm gonna bypass points and condenser all together."

That's what the Nova 2 does , exactly .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Well got my parts in the other day but its been too cold here to work on anything. I do have one cylinder that has to go back to Wayne due to some damage so only one engine build this week.

This in my Nova II install before I got the flywheel back on. I hope it works?   ???