Author Topic: Senior Sportsman serial number location  (Read 4970 times)

Old School

• View Profile
    • Email
Senior Sportsman serial number location
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:49:11 AM »
Hello:
I am brand new to the forum but I have been a Simplex guy for a long time.  My experience to this point has been with Simplex go karts.  I have 5 completed Simplex karts and I have another one in progress.  I have just recently acquired a Simplex Senior Sportsman which is in need of a complete restoration.  The first thing I need to do is to complete the bill of sale with the seller so that I can register the bike in Louisiana after it is restored.  Louisiana requires the VIN number on the bill of sale but I cannot find it on the bike.  I would appreciate someone letting me know where to look.
I will be updating my profile very soon and I will post pictures of my project and its progress.  Also, I live in a suburb of New Orleans where the Simplex factory was located and I have accumulated some interesting information on the factory and how well it was operated.  I will share that information with the forum if anyone is interested.
For the time being by immediate objective is completing the bill of sale with the seller, who is very cooperative, so thanks in advance for info on the serial number location.
And being a "Newbee", please don't hesitate to let me know if I am not posting correctly.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Senior Sportsman serial number location
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:56:30 AM »
Welcome aboard!

I'm not sure where the number would be on a Senior Sportsman, but on the Servi-Cycles, it is located under the steering neck.  Did you look there?  Many times they are painted over and hard to read.

Please share whatever you have on the history of Simplex.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:31:39 AM »
Welcome Old School . :)

Definitely interested . Please post pics of your bike and anything you can about Simplex history .
I wouldn't mind seeing your carts , too .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Old School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
Thanks Rick.  That is exactly where the serial number was located.  A little paint remover revealed it.  The number is 1654.  The seller said it was a 1965 model.  Is there any way to determine the year of manufacture from the serial number? 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
The short answer is no.  For the Servi-Cycles, we have a registry, and came get close, but we have no such info for the "minibike" style Simplex.  There are just not many out there and only a few people that visit here have ever had one.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 04:21:39 AM »
Welcome Old School.
  Howdy from Texas and I too have a sportsman senior but a compact model. I've got it on the list to rebuild someday but the list is long. Please share some pictures of it soon also pics of the carts too. 

Old School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  I sure will post some pictures of my Senior Sportsman and the karts.  In that regard how do I get a picture on my profile?  Guess you can tell I’m a real Newbie.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »
Thanks guys.  I sure will post some pictures of my Senior Sportsman and the karts.  In that regard how do I get a picture on my profile?  Guess you can tell I’m a real Newbie.

Click on 'Profile' at the top of the page .
Then , on the profile page ,  under 'Modify Profile' ( left side ) , click 'Forum Profile Information' .
Then click on the option you want and 'fill in the blanks' .
Finally , click 'Change Profile' at the bottom of the page .

That should set you up .
Just ask if you run into problems . ;)

Old School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
Thanks, Pete.  And now that I understand how to upload pictures, here are some pics of my Senior Sportsman.  Its crusty but very complete (except no engine).  Villiers in the UK is locating a 200cc engine for me.  I'll keep the group updated on my progress.  The next step will be to disassemble the bike and have it media blasted.  I am hopeful I will not have to change any of the tubing on the bike but we'll see.  Its common with the go karts to have to change tubing, particularly the bottom rails and I have bent tubing to the kart's original profile but those bends were not that much.  If any of the bike's tubing needs to be replaced, I may need to outsource that.  As I said, we'll see.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  And thanks again to everyone for all of your help and comments.

Old School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 06:06:42 AM »
Hey guys.  I could use the group's expertise on something.  The strap that holds the gas tank on a Senior Sportsman is missing from the bike I bought.  I have looked at pictures of Senior Sportsman and I can see how the strap attaches to the frame but I cannot tell if the strap is round stock or flat under the tank.  I can see the ends are obviously round and threaded but I cannot see the part of the strap that is under the tank.  Any help would be appreciated.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »
If no one here can answer your question , you might give Wayne Mahaffey a call .
His # 256 353 5552 .

He might even have parts you may need .

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:59:15 AM »
It's round and only threaded at the ends here's a picture of one I'm trying to make for mine. I hope this helps. 8)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:48 AM »
That looks easy enough to reproduce .

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »
That looks easy enough to reproduce .

Everything is easy on the computer!  LOL 

Yeah, all you need is a few measurements and it shouldn't take long.
Rick

Old School

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
Hey Folks
I know it has been awhile since i gave an update on my Senior Sportsman project.  My apologies.  I have been working on it and the attached pictures tell the tale.  I am waiting on the exhaust pipe and silencer (as the Brits say) to make sure they will fit the frame without any modifications.  After that I will paint the frame itself and start the final assembly.  I'll keep you posted.
And i hope everyone has a great Memorial Day holiday.
Thanks