Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 1804 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello Everyone
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:57:44 AM »
Hi all,
My name is Tom. Just to introduce myself a bit. I was an automotive machinist for 28 years. Throughout those years I got to see and restore a lot of old and unusual engines at the owners expense. Now that's fun! I love anything that's old and goes. I have a 1949 Chevy 3/4 ton truck that has been my daily driver for 25 years. Also have a 1951(for a back up). I feel best when I am surrounded with old iron and my house shows that. To name a few. My 1948 Simplex. 1966 Sears Sabre motor scooter. Late '60s Margay go kart. 1951 J.C. Higgins Colorflow bicycle. Wife rides a 1949 Schwinn Starlet. Several single cylinder vintage gas engines. And countless collections of oddities and fine pieces of junk! Later I will tell you about my Simplex and the story behind it. Big thanks to RickS for calling me in!

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:12:22 AM »
Welcome Tom.  I'm also new to the group, but have yet to find a bike (had one when I was a kid).  Funny how most of us have similar interests.  I have 5 studebakers, a Model T, a Kaiser (I used to use them all for daily drivers) besides a few single cylinder engines (maytag, mcormick deering).  I also do blacksmithing, so there's always lots of odd iron stuff around the farm.

I've got a pre-war Hawthorn bicycle & a couple from the 50's which I was going to motorize (following a project shown in a 1936 Popular Science magazine), but if I can find another Simplex, I'll probably not destroy them.

What part of michigan are you in?  I used to spend a lot of time around detroit, on business (worked for a supplier to the big three). 
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:24 AM »
I'm up by Saginaw, Mi. A couple of hours to the north. saginaw is where the old steering gear plant was but now is called Nexteer. I'm from midland but moved to Marietta,Ga in '82 but moved back here in '91.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »
Hi Tom, glad you got over here. 

Post a picture of that lamp of yours!

Rick