Author Topic: Hi from Texas  (Read 1481 times)

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
Hi from Texas
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
New to the Simplex, love the look of the cycle. Have been lurking around Cushman stuff for awhile, getting closer to where I'm going to dip my foot into something for a nice thing to scoot around in locally but still looks good enough to park in the living room as retro art. The Simplex is more of that than a Cushman Eagle to me.

I'm in Austin, ex-mechanic, now photographer. Is their any local resources or get togethers like the Portland meet covered elsewhere here (never did get the name of that event, people posting about it likely assume everyone "knows" - so can we use a lifeline and get some help?).

Would be nice if there was a dedicated 'For Sale' section here for people moving between projects etc, as well as a General FAQ about the cycle. I have no idea if they are easy to ride, start, etc.. or the upkeep that will be involved but my sleeves are rolled up.

Thanks!
jack of all trades, master of none...

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hi from Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »
Driver, welcome to the group.  A lot of us had one when we were kids, so we kinda forget some people are new to the brand.  I myself just got back into it after 30 plus years.

The Portland convention is the Vintage Motor Bike Club, in Portland, Indiana.  They've got a good group, but a poor website.  I'd like to find a better chat group for those guys myself.

These bikes are a lot of fun as long as you don't expect jack rabbit starts.  Blinding speed is not one of their virtues.  It appears there's only one source for parts (besides ebay), but the guy is a swell fella who is very helpful.

Don't know if your into long distance procurements, but you might want to consider contacting Adam or Leslie Wollard in Bradenton, Florida.  Their father (who past away last spring) had an extensive collection of Simplex's they are liquidating the collection.  Otherwise, keep your eyes open on ebay & craigslist (I found mine on ebay just a few weeks ago).

Lots-o-luck,
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:55:33 AM »
I forgot to mention that Bob Gurkin had a nice bike for sale. You mightsend him a note (check the membership list forcontact info).
Mike Sal

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
My budget at the moment is pretty much nada (house repairs tapped me out) but in the coming months that can easily change. Just need to start acclimating to the waters I guess and see whats out there and learn what I need to make a informed decision.

Hoping that whatever I get can be toted behind a motor coach on a receiver hitch with a cover to keep it clean. Would make for a good pit bike if it can be done easily enough.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:22:48 PM by Driver »
jack of all trades, master of none...