Author Topic: Just wanted to introduce Myself  (Read 2955 times)

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Just wanted to introduce Myself
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:44:15 PM »
 Just wanted to introduce myself. Ill be getting My first Simplex this summer, Ive been building motorized bicycles the past couple years and I saw a Simplex and wanted to do one. The bike Im getting doesnt have a motor so I dont know if Im going to try to find a Simplex or go with a Briggs. Im currently searching for any info I can find on Simplex manuals etc. Im sure Ill be asking for some advice / help. Here are a couple of old Schwinns I just finished the first is a 53 Spitfire Dx and the other is a 50 Panther.
  Cheers

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:46:07 PM by chainmaker »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Just wanted to introduce Myself
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:20:40 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Nice bikes!  The panther has that boardtrack look that I like so much.  Reminds me of the stretched worksman BTR that sportcarpat builds.

Simplex motors are very hard to find.  Most parts you can get from Wayne Mahaffey.  I don't know if he has any complete motors available, but he would be the one to call.
I'm putting a honda engine in a simplex 3 wheel truck replica that I'm building.  When converting to motors other than the original simplex, you will have to relocate things such as the brake control rod and decide what to do for a transmission.  I'm planning on using a comet type torque convertor drive to a jackshaft to drive the wheels.

Good luck and keep us posted,
  Rick

Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »
Hi Chainmaker. Glad to see you. Rick just gave you some solid advice. The last time I spoke to Wayne he had 5 incomplete motors. He was in the midst of trying to get pistons to complete them. When he does have a ready motor they generally sell in the $1,800 up range. So if you can find a decent motor have at it :) A Briggs (or similar) motor with a Comet clutch would be your best bet for a rider. The Briggs is a much more dependable motor in my opinion. Honda is a darn nice motor too. Anyway, you have plenty of time to be looking, comparing and studying the whole thing over.

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
Hi Chainmaker and welcome to the forum. Good advice from both Rick and Bob. What year or model is the Simplex you are getting?

Mike

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:18:42 AM »
  Thanks for the Welcome,

Rick.. Thanks for the compliment, The tank and forks came from Pat I bought the frame from a guy near him and Pat had a look at it and was going to loop it but I decided to go this way. Pat does some fine builds.

Not sure of the model of the bike as this is My first go at these, but I think the bike is a 49. Plans do look like a Briggs to start , and try to find a Simplex along the way.