Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 8077 times)

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
Just found this site. So, after several years I'm finally going to finish trying to find the rest of the parts that I need to complete my '48 Simplex. The story behind this one, is that I bought it about 30 years ago, collected and chromed a bunch of parts and then sold everything, for what reason, I don't know. For years I regretted that decision and finally bought it back a couple of years ago. It's now a little worse for the wear from sitting in a musty old barn and missing some parts. I'm looking forward to exploring this site and meeting other Simplex owners and locating some parts. Just in case anyone is interested, my other two wheeled interests include, prewar balloon tire bicycles of which my main focus is Cleveland Welding, Colson and Schwinn, and yes, there is the obligatory Whizzer or two.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:22:49 AM by Dominic DiMarko »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
Welcome to the group.  We've got some guys on here that are as knowledgeable as anyone on these crates.  Where are you from.  A lot of us are in the mid-west, but a few are from both coasts.  What is the motor number on your engine.  We're trying to get a registry going for the bikes also.

Some of us had these bikes when we were kids, others just think they look cool & had to have one.  Right now regarding parts, there are really only 2 sources for parts.....ebay and Wayne Mahafee (I just received an expensive care package from him today!!!).

It seems like there are several 48's showing up.  I wonder if this is due to the sellers market for cars back then.  So many GI's were coming home with pockets full of money, but it took a long time for the car companies to re-tool for car production (and there were material shortages out the wazoo), so they could command premium prices for what cars that were available.  Studebaker & Kaiser were both first out the gate with brand new designs in '47 & made lots of money.  I can see that buying a motor bike may have made a lot of sence at that time period.
Mike Sal

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »
Right now the Simplex is buried behind a bunch of other bikes. I'm going to pull it out and get the serial numbers from the frame and motor. Hopefully the year of the motor will be correct for the year of the frame, as they were purchased separately years ago.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
I don't think that's a 48.  Simplex used a bicycle style gooseneck through 1948 and changed to the flat plate style in 1949.

What brand tires are those?  When you get it out can you snap a closeup of them please.

Rick
Rick

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »
Good to know! I will get better photos and serial numbers this weekend. Tires are Chinese. I'm already getting reinvigorated. Thanks!!! GOAL: "Git It Runnin' Befo' Ah Dies" Just curious to know if any CABE members are on this sight as well?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »
Did you notice that his front fender braces are of the early style?  I won't be surprised if he doesn't have a frame number.  It looks like a decent start of a bike.....after 30 years it's been patiently waiting for you!!!

If your a bicycle guy, are my nos Schwinn 26x2.25 (or is it 2.125....I'll have to look again) tires worth anything?  They're about 10 years old, but have never been out in the sun & have always had air in them.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
I did Mike. They used the straight type braces through the 1949 Model K, then changed to the curved model for the later 1949 Model L

Rick
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:01:41 PM by RickS »
Rick

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
Did you notice that his front fender braces are of the early style?  I won't be surprised if he doesn't have a frame number.  It looks like a decent start of a bike.....after 30 years it's been patiently waiting for you!!!

If your a bicycle guy, are my nos Schwinn 26x2.25 (or is it 2.125....I'll have to look again) tires worth anything?  They're about 10 years old, but have never been out in the sun & have always had air in them.
Mike Sal

Post a photo of the tires when you get a chance. Show tread, markings, and a side view. I'll ask a friend who knows value better than I. Where do I need to look for the serial number on the frame?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
The frame number, if there is one, will be on the bottom of the "neck" that connects the head tube to the frame, just in front of the crash bars.  The easy way is to lay the bike on it's side & look under the neck with a flashlight.  Sometimes you have to scrape the paint off to see it (I had to do that to see mine).  They didn't start adding serial numbers until 51 or 52 I think.

The tires are Schwinn "typhoon cord".  I'll take a close up shot of them tomorrow.
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:22 PM »
With this bike having the newer style handler mount and the old style fender braces would that mean it would have to be an early 49 ?
Jeremy c.

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
Cant help with the year but sure is a cool bike! Welcome!
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
With this bike having the newer style handler mount and the old style fender braces would that mean it would have to be an early 49 ?

Another thing is 1948 had the kickstand on the frame behind the floorboard and in 1949 they put it back under the front of the floorboard.

I would bet it is a 1949 Model K.
Rick

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
I agree ,,  alloy jug with zinc base   1950 ish    earlier was cast iron jug and later had alloy base with zinc rotary valve ( that was good for splitting across the keyway )    good project !! thanks for posting it ! :)

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 08:15:03 PM »
I agree ,,  alloy jug with zinc base   1950 ish    earlier was cast iron jug and later had alloy base with zinc rotary valve ( that was good for splitting across the keyway )    good project !! thanks for posting it ! :)

Thanks for your input Larry. I just bumped into your post. Sorry it took so long. I don't quite understand. Are you saying that the alloy jug w/zinc base (mine with '49 K serial number) is preferable to both earlier and later motors?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:56:38 AM »
The "M" motors did away with the rotary valve altogether, and got heavier cranks as time went on.  They are the best in my opinion (on a power vs weight basis).
Mike Sal