Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 8078 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Introduction
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:08 AM »
The 2 long tailpipe model was not introduced until the automatic era started.  I've read that the 1949 Model K came with either  the front stubby canister or one like the earlier style, curved head pipe with muffler attached to left side of bike.
Rick

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but since it's a either/or proposition, would there be any engine performance difference between the longer pipe and the stubby one?

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
I doubt that there would be much difference in performance , if any , as the mufflers are likely the same .

If there was an expansion chamber employed , that would definitely add a level of performance .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 07:53:04 PM »
Thats a good question.  I know that back in my dirt bike days, having a tuned exhaust system made a big difference in the way a 2 stroke ran.  With our older long stroke 2 cycle motors, I don't know if the rules are the same.

In wollards book, he talks about how the bikes with 2 long pipes ran better when when pipe was plugged and the other had a restricter in it.  (although my pipes are open on the ends).

Many years ago I worked for AMF wheeled goods (the little red tricycles you had when you were a kid) & we made mopeds in the 70's.  We had 2 different horsepower models.  The only difference between the 2 were the size of the intake manifold and the muffler.
Mike Sal  

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:24 PM »
Wayne tried closing off one of the pipes and he said there was no discernible difference.  I meant to cap one of my pipes last summer as a test, but, alas, I forgot.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »
Achtung alles Simplex Bastler und Sammler!!! 
We've been getting a lot of new people signed up on the site lately!!!!  WELCOME to each of you.  Please send us a little note about yourselves & your bikes so that we can all get to know you.  There is a wealth of information on the site, as well as with several of our members.  Some of us haven't tinkered with a Simplex since we were kids.....others have been playing with them for years.
thanks,
Mike Sal

kjwiley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
  The cone and chamber have to be in the proper location. Come to think of it.. if I was going to go that far I might just retrofit a comet 125cc go-kart engine as a replacement for the stock engine.  I think I need another bike to build as a modified version?  :) :)

Ken