Author Topic: Hello - new member  (Read 7760 times)

CLWebster

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello - new member
« on: April 15, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
I tried to post under "New Members" but for some reason could not find a "new post" option there. In any event, I've joined. I live in Fort Worth, TX. I've had my Model L (may be an M) for a little over six years. Larry Brown helped put it in running condition, and I'm glad to see his posts here. How are you Larry? The Chinese tires finally gave up the ghost, so I've ordered new ones, plus a carburetor, from Wayne. I'm glad to see so much interest in Servi-Cycles and hope we can all get together at some point.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello - new member
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
Howdy from down here in Burton and nice bike. 8)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:22:58 AM »
I tried to post under "New Members" but for some reason could not find a "new post" option there. In any event, I've joined. I live in Fort Worth, TX. I've had my Model L (may be an M) for a little over six years. Larry Brown helped put it in running condition, and I'm glad to see his posts here. How are you Larry? The Chinese tires finally gave up the ghost, so I've ordered new ones, plus a carburetor, from Wayne. I'm glad to see so much interest in Servi-Cycles and hope we can all get together at some point.

Welcome!  The reason you could not find a "new post" button under the new member post is because it is already a topic.  You just need to "reply" to topic to post.

If you can, come to the VMBC meet in Portland, IN  in july.  I think we will have a dozen members of this site there.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
Here's the standard question......what is your motor number and frame number (if it has one)?
thanks,
Mike Sal

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Welcome to the site I would like to go to the vmbc meet it would be good to meet everyone don't know yet if my bike will go with me , July may sneak up pretty fast
Jeremy c.

welbike

• View Profile
    • Welbikes Pages
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 02:57:22 AM »
Hi, I'm also new here, mostly interested in Military Simplexes, have one postwar frame for parts, and a wartime, without any crash bars, looking for pictures of the folding footboards if anyone has seen any? on mine there's nothing there!

Engine, only have one incomplete unit, looking for Wico flywheel, from what I've gathered here, everybody is!

Thanks,

Alex Schmidt

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:36 AM »
Bill Erickson, from Illinois, is restoring a '37 model at the moment.  Does it have the same type foot pegs your interested in?  If so, check out his webpage & contact him (he's usually the first hit that comes up on a simplex search).
Mike Sal

CLWebster

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine Number
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »
Here's the standard question......what is your motor number and frame number (if it has one)?
thanks,
Mike Sal

Mike: The engine number is L11096M. Cannot locate a serial # on the frame.

CLWebster

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
CL, thanks for the number.  You probably don't have a frame number, as they didn't start that until about 51 witht the M series.
Mike Sal

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
Cl, Bill Marcum thats me. If yo are looking for a frame no. Like I was, I could not find it till I turned the frame over and there it was. On the bottom of the neck. I am posting a picture to help if you have a number. Welcome to the site . Bill Marcum 8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »
Bill & CL, that plate & number didn't start showing up until about the 1951 model year. 
CL's "L" motor indicates a bike made from mid-1949 thru mid-1950 (this is of course, dependant on whether it's the original engine or not).

CL, can you post some pictures of the bike?  Does it have the latch on the foot pedal to hold the gear positions?  Does your bike have the 2" wide rims?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
Mike, he posted 1 picture above.  It has the 2" wheels, and it looks like it has the latch to hold it in gear.  I would venture a guess that the engine is the original.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
Oops, forgot about his pic.....nothin' gets past this guy, eh?

I had stated the L model was thru 50, but a closer look at the Wollard book says thru '51.  Since his bike has the winged decal, I'd say it's an early L model.
Mike Sal

welbike

• View Profile
    • Welbikes Pages
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
Bill Erickson, from Illinois, is restoring a '37 model at the moment.  Does it have the same type foot pegs your interested in?  If so, check out his webpage & contact him (he's usually the first hit that comes up on a simplex search).
Mike Sal

Hi Sal, No there should be no footpegs but footboards, the early type, but then folding, they fold up, to make the Simplex less wide to transport, will see if I can make a scan from the parts book, but it's not very clear.

Also will have a look at the engine number.

Grtz,

Alex

CLWebster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »
Mike and Alex, thanks for the excellent information. Very helpful.

The footboards do not, however, fold up - at least I don't think they do! I'll check.

CLWebster