Author Topic: Hello - new member  (Read 7761 times)

LARRYBROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello - new member
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
Good to hear form you Lon,     I'm just now getting back on my feet ,,,,    Give me a ring anytime,   314 609 6568,    all the best ,    Larry.

JZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »
Hi All,
New to the forum, I was researching Simplex Servicycles and found it. My older brother had a literal 'basket case' pre-1945 bike he restored in the mid 1960s we used to ride. It's long gone now, but I was wondering is anyone had frame specs and measurements. I've been toying with building a large scale model of a servicycle as a project, and measurements and drawings would be easier to work with than working from photos and memory. Very cool site BTW!
Thanks,
JZ

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
Welcome to the group.  Hopefully a couple of guys will be able to chime in with the contact info, but there was a guy who built reproductions of Simplex's a few years ago, so I'd guess he has drawings & measurements.  His finished costs were just too hi to support his business model I think.
Mike Sal

JZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »
Thanks for the response, Mike. I hope to see some responses so I can move forward on the idea. I have grand kids who'd get a charge out of something like this, especially a 1/2 or 3/4 scale truck version...
JZ

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
Welcome JZ.  I haven't come across any blueprints, but I may be able to give you some help.  What specs would you like?

Rick
Rick

Boxxdin

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »
Hello ,

My name is Adam Smalley. I also am a new member. Trying to buy a 53 model.Dont know much about them but I know I love the way they look.

JZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 06:26:42 AM »
Rick,
Some basic frame measurements, spacing between frame loops would help. If you have a trike, the box loop dimensions would be good too. I can probably work off of photos once I have some basic measurements and scale up/down from there.
Thanks for the offer!
JZ

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:13 AM »
Welcome Adam, if you don't know much about them you are in the right place! Enjoy the read, plenty of stuff on this site to keep you busy!
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »
Hi JZ,

Here are some specs for you.

Neck 1 3/4" wide
Seat spring 1 1/2 wide
frame @ neck 4" to outside of tube
frame @ rear axle 7 1/2" to outside of tube
Crash Bars 23" wide
lower frame rails 23" from center of bend
upper frame rail 35" from center of bend
Down tubes 20" from crash bars downward.

I don't think I would scale this down much, as you need the room for whatever motor you chose to run.  What size wheels are you thinking of using?  Take a look at my simplex 3 wheel tribute thread and you can get an idea of what I did to build a truck.  I did not have any exact measurements, but I think I've come close.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 02:23:57 PM »
Willkommen to the new Bewerberen.   One idea for a reduced size bike project would be to take a sportsman senior & make a truck out of it.  Smaller profile but still has the Simplex look.  Ya gotta wonder if Treen built any prototypes of one.
Mike Sal

JZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 04:58:18 AM »
Rick,
I was thinking 20" wheels and using one of the small motorized bike engines, which would make it about 3/4 scale. A motorized bike kit engine would still fit in the downsized frame (at this point it's still total S.W.A.G. until i get something down on paper).
JZ

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 05:32:02 AM »
Those small 2 stroke chinese engines need pedal power to get started I believe.  Just something to consider.  Maybe one of those 2 hp harbor freight engines would work.

Rick
Rick

JZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
The pricier kits have some chinese ohv 4 strokes with a centrifugal clutch, probably the same engines.