Author Topic: Hello Gentleman, thought I would introduce myself.............  (Read 1954 times)

smallbore

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello gentlemen, Just thought I would introduce myself being new to this board. Any of you on the Oldminibikes.com  site would know me by the same handle “smallbore” a.k.a. Scott. My handle comes from 10 years of competitive rifle shooting in both High Power Rifle and Smallbore Rifle competition. I ran the Smallbore program at our local range for these 10 years and still hold unbroken records many years later. I am no stranger when it comes to motorcycles & minibikes. Growing up in Southern California I have been riding, repairing, and restoring since age 12, 43 years ago. In my early 20`s I attended Santa Monica College where I went to night school 5 nights a week taking Machining, Tool & Die Pattern Making, and Metal Casting. In that class I designed and built a super charger for Honda singles as well as some other cool stuff. From Santa Monica I transferred to LATT in Los Angeles where I took Motorcycle Mechanics so I could get a piece of paper that officially said: “I know what Im doing”. I have a large collection of rare motorcycles and a bunch of minibikes as well.
I see that some of you watch Craigslist and eBay as I do. Well.... I am the one that bought the Senior Sportsman recently that was in Yucaipa California. Im sure there are a few of you wondering why someone would pay so much for that bike. As you know, any of this stuff brings what ever the market will bear or what someone is willing to pay. There are several factors why I paid what I did. #1- The bike was 1-1/2 hour drive away from me = $25.00 in Gas round trip verses $300.00 to 400.00 shipping for out of state, so I had some extra wiggle room there. #2- The rarity of the bike.... (I mainly deal in only rare bikes). That bike is a 1965 model year, and there was only a few built that year before Simplex closed their doors for good. #3-  I have the correct engine in my shop as well as a 1965 California “black & yellow” license plate for it which is out of the DMV system and can be reassigned to this bike with just an application for lost title.  For those of you that were wondering what year it was... I cant stress enough just how important it is to do your research Not just Goggle but other search engines as well as books and magazines. I have won  lots of trophies through the years for “Concourse” restorations including a George Barris trophy which are hard to come by. Concourse shows means every nut, bolt, washer, wiring, graphics, even seat material has to be 100% correct of how it left the factory. Once at the Bultaco World Championships,  I got called  out by the judges for a hose clamp being a Type 1 Cadmium  instead of  Type-2, but I still won best bike in competition with my steel rim 1976 Montesa Cota 172 (one of 500 built). I rode Observed Trials Competition for 16 years and still have several of my old Trials bikes from those days.

Well.... I think I have said more than enough for now. As time permits I will post some photos for you.

Smallbore.......  :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello Gentleman, thought I would introduce myself.............
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:40:44 PM »
Glad to meet you. Welcome aboard.  It sounds like you have had an interesting run!

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »
Good to have you on the forum, own any powells?
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

smallbore

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
Good to have you on the forum, own any powells?
No Powells currently... I had a Streamliner 20+ years ago and sold it for an offer I could`nt refuse. Minibike Paul on the OMB forum has been reproducing the later model Challengers. Personall I never cared for the Challengers, though they were way ahead of their time in design.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »
I really blew it on guessing the age on this thing.  I had it in my head that they started making those much earlier.  Glad to see it going to someone who can give it a deserving future. 

Welcome to the group.  Sounds like you've had some fun experiences.  I ran a motorcycle repair side business for a few years & it was fun to play with all the different styles & technologies used by the different brands over the years (50's thru mid-70's are my years of exposure....I don't know much about the newer stuff). 

I grew up (& still live) in the country with hunting & guns, so have done some shooting all my life, but never any "controlled" shooting  We get together a couple times a year to live shoot our ww2 weapons (I do ww2 reenacting) & that's fun.....nothing like ripping something up with an MG42 to put a smile on your face.
Mike Sal