Author Topic: First post to say Hello  (Read 2026 times)

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
First post to say Hello
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »
  Hello and thank you to the forum members , for the sharing and exchange of information .

I am OnaWingandaPrayer (mike) . The name is one from another forum I frequent , and the fact I ride a GoldWing 1500 as daily transportation . I live in San Antonio,Fl . I've had a Simplex since around 1972 . It is/was near complete when we rolled it of the truck and into the shop . i was 14 at the time and into bike racing . I did short track(flat track) , motocross , and a little roadracing as well . Most of that was done on SL350 Honda . Back to the Simplex . I took it apart and put the small parts into a box . Ya'll know how life happens and things get passed by .It's still that way today . Though all these years later I hope to begin in the near future to build it back to better than how it arrived .
    So I will be here now and in the future to call on you folks for help and ideas . Sorry for the long read . I just wanted let you know the where/how comes about me .
  My day job is turning diesel fuel into electricity . Its magic I tell ya  ;) . I work at a an Electric Coop and do maint on standby/peak shave generators .

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First post to say Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
Welcome.  Glad to see you made it.  Isn't it funny how the years slip thru your fingers so quickly?  When we first moved to this old farm place 13 years ago there was a cistern with a hand pump on it that didn't work.  My dad came for a visit & we pulled it out & found that the valve needed to be rebuilt.  I made a comment about how I'd leave it laying in the yard as I'd fix it very soon.  Dad told me I'd better put it into the barn, as it might be a day, or it might be 10 years before I actually got around to fixing it.......ya know, that pump is still setting in the barn waiting for me.....
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Get some pictures up!!

Mike Sal, get that bike running.  Only 5 months to Portland!
Rick

Red

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
welcome and Mike aint that the truth. I've got a 70 chevelle I started about 15 yrs ago, 3 kids,a house,a business,2 hurricanes and that chevelle hasnt seen much attention in the past 12

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
I used to be a chevy motor head too.  My chevelles were '64, 66, & 71.  The '71 was the most fun.....454 / 4 speed supersport with cowl induction hood.  I was also into chevy II's & was building a '63 nova hardtop into a rod w/ 396 when a divorce turned everything upside down.  I sold everything (way too cheap) & went totally orphan brand (Studebakers, Kaisers, AMC....).
Mike Sal

Red

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:32:52 PM »
my dad has a 66 nova that is almost finished and is one of my favorite projects I helped him with. Its kind of funny because I only have 1 day off a week and work harder on projects at home than I ever do at work but its not work :-)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:16:51 PM »
I had a nice '66 chevy II nova w/ 400 small block (you have to grind some clearance for the crank into the original chevy II oil pump.....don't ask how I know this) at the same time of the divorce.  It had NOS fenders & was a pretty blue color.  I sold it to a kid who promptly crashed it over a guard rail on a levi.  I about cried.....

I had 3 chevy II's over the years.  At one time I could tell you where every nut & bolt went on those cars.  If you decide to put wheel tubs in the back for larger tires, make sure you shore up some bracing for the body as they turn into limp noodles when you cut out the original tubs.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »
OnaWingandaPrayer (mike) ,

Welcome . :)

Seems you and I have similar stories : I've had my Simplex since 1964 and have had many bikes since . It was near complete . I was 14 when I bought it ( for $15 ) . I took it apart about 7 years ago and put the small parts in a box . It's not in a box anymore .
I raced bikes starting in 1972 ( drag and road , no dirt ) . I only have four bikes now : Simplex ; FA50 Suzuki 1984 ( wife's) ; XT350 Yamaha 1989 and a CB750C Honda 1982 . Built all of them .
My favorite Chevy was a lowered '58 Biscayne with a 409 , high lift cam and a pair of Holly pumpers on top . We installed front wheel well dumps and it had a 411 rear end . Fun car .
I don't have a day job , but we do host campgrounds for something to do . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

OnaWingandaPrayer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:50 AM »
Hi , I am mike . I have a problem . ...To many hobbies .  ;)   I dont really think thats possible . Its my plan to spread the wealth , among projects that is .   Its good to see more Chevy gearheads as well . Thats another passion . I have a 1970 Monte Carlo 412sb with 700r4 . IT runs good but is ready to have the body refreshed . then there is the 59 Willys CJ5 . At least thats what the title says . Its a 2x4 tube frame , glass body , 4 wheel disc and 4 wheel locking hubs , 153cid Iron duke , NP540 trans mated to the origingal Dana18 transfer.
  can ya'll help me ?   ;D

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 06:16:17 AM »
Nope . Yer well over the edge and still falling ( just like most of us ) .

Best we can offer is " See you at the bottom " . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)