Author Topic: New guy without a bike  (Read 2701 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
New guy without a bike
« on: December 21, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
Hello all.  Thought I'd throw an introduction up.  I live in southern Illinois & am an engineer by trade.  My other hobbies are Studebakers ('50, '55, '56, '63, '66), a '54 kaiser Manhattan, a '26 Model T touring, & a '74 suzuki 186 street bike.  I also do blacksmithing, have my own machine shop (mill, lathe, most tools to be dangerous), & participate in ww2 reenactments (read I have no money now).

I had a simplex back when I was a kid, but when I went off to junior college, my dad gave it & my other toys away (I hated that).  I've always had a weakness for the smaller old bikes.  I went to the Lee Hartung auction last month & saw a Simplex there (missing a few parts & a big dent in the tank....I think it brought somewhere around $2200) & it reminded me that I'd like to have one again.  The last one I ever saw sell was about 15 years ago & it brought about 400, so I was quite surprised to see them selling for more than 2 grand.

So, I'm in the market for a bike.  Since I'm such a tight wad, maybe something that needs restored rather than one that's already done.  If any of you have any tips, let me know.
thanks,
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New guy without a bike
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
Keep an eye on craigslist and ebay.  Project bikes pop up from time to time.  As you have noted, they are not all that cheap anymore.  A mostly complete project runs around $1500, and beware, if you buy one without an engine, they are very hard to find.  I see many projects get sold on ebay without a motor in the $500-1000 range, but I don't think that is the way to go if you want an original style restoration.  If you want to put some other motor in one, than go ahead. 

Good luck and keep us posted!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
BTW, check out this bike for sale.  With some work, this will be real nice!

http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=69.0
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I already have another bike project started.  Following the directions from a 1936 Popular Science Magazine, I'm converting a period Monark bicycle to motorized power, but I'm using a modern chinese ohv 6hp engine I got at Harbor Freight.  I have an old Clinton engine I could use to make it look like a period conversion, but I don't like giving up that much horse power.

I've sent a note to Bob regarding his bike, but he's half a country away.
thanks,
Mike Sal

ltcps

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »
Just bought what the title says is a 1945. Does anyone have knowlege of where to find a kickstart conversion? I have new knees and a bad back and pushing it is not a great idea.

If not a kick start, does anyone have any suggestions for the installation of another type of engine? I've thought of maybe some kind of Honda, Yamaha or other with a transmission. A Kohler, Briggs or what other is a good swap and what horse power?

Boy this bike is a lot smaller than I remember! The one I had when I was a kid was really something! Dad gave up on the original engine and installed a direct drive lawn mower engine. No brakes - just a push/pull knob for gas. Talk about scarry!

Every kid I knew had their first ride on that bike and when they find out I found another one at our next breakfast meeting, I hate to think of their reactions.

Looking forward to riding this bike. Was looking for a Cushman that I couldn't afford when I was a kid.

Good luck everybody and look forward to owning this one until I can't ride anymore.

Tom in DeSoto Missouri

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
That bike is sweet!  If it were me, I wouldn't replace the motor with a non simplex one, but to each his own.  Wayne Mahaffey should have the parts necessary to convert to a kick start.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
Don't worry Tom. When you tell us you can't ride your Simplex anymore one of us will come and prop you up on that thing and get it started. Once you are back in the saddle  years will fall off of your life and you will be young again! Saw it happen once with an 82 year old man. He walked with a cane but could pilot a 1927 Model JD harley.