Author Topic: axel nuts  (Read 4266 times)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
axel nuts
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »
Not sure if this should have been posted in tires or classifieds but, for those on a budget,  I found a set of 5 very nice chrome plated metal caps that press on over the axel nuts and add thread protection and a nice touch for cheap. (british thread acorns are tough to find) They were $4.62 with shipping thru trux mart on E-bay.

pd

• View Profile
Re: axel nuts
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »
Will they fit over the original acorn nuts?  I've still got all 4 of mine, but they are a little pitted & don't show very well.  The threads are much better on the originals than the ones from Wayne.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
Will they fit over the original acorn nuts?  I've still got all 4 of mine, but they are a little pitted & don't show very well.  The threads are much better on the originals than the ones from Wayne.
Mike Sal

I have noticed that Wayne's nuts thread right on his axles, but fit tight on the stock simplex axles.  I really need to get a die for this BSC thread to chase the threads and see if that helps.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
"Will they fit over the original acorn nuts? "

That's exactly what they do , Mike . I'm not sure which size , but I'm sure carryall could inform us , if he would be so kind . ;)

Pete . :)

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
Sorry guys, I was tinkering with putting on a Fumoto oil drain plug and it turned into a whole day job. (I have a lot of time on my hands lately as evident by number of posts and doing things like hardmounting of my saddlebags, LED headlight conversion, leather wrapped grip covers, etc...because I'm home recovering from prostate surgery 2 weeks ago) To answer your question, these just snap over the 3/4" axel nut that secures the axel.  I didn't have acorn nuts.  (see pic)  I also included a pic of the new oil drain valve I installed today.  I had to completely remove the motor and grind/cut back the motor mount plate below where the drain is.  Reason was every time I drained oil, it would dribble out and go between engine and the motor mount plate and eventually leave spots when parked.  It's a slick little valve that opens/closes with a small lever that has a nipple for a 3/8" drain hose and cap.  Have one on my HHR and is so nice not having to use a wrench and worrying about leaks or stripping threads or bad gaskets/crush washers ever again. 

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
I forgot to ask you experts about my rear fender mounting.  The only way I could make it work with the parts I got when purchased was to mount the "strap" over the fender rather than under it like I see in everyone else's pics.  wrong/replaced by previous owner?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
Definitely wrong.  I thought all the rear struts were 2 piece designs.  I think some of the early front struts were one piece like that.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
And , a single bolt , centered ?

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
After closer inspection, I think someone substituted a front fender brace?  It seems to have the same angled profile that's used "up front".  Oh well, works for me.  It looked so natural that nobody ever noticed in any of the pics I have posted.  I remember Wayne telling me the fenders weren't correct, and they were "old style" and didn't go on the 48 because of the hole pattern in the tail light/license plate area. (he was sure it was a 48 because it had the hard to find oil bath A/F) The original rear fender must have gotten wrecked along time ago. The guy I bought the bike parts from had it up in the attic for 15+ yrs.  Original fender probably got wrecked doin' wheelies with that original 125cc powerhouse it came with?  (Or it was Indian Larry's training bike when he was a kid) LOL  By the way, I was looking thru some of the manuals he had with it and see things like leg shields, saddlebags, hand horn, trailers, etc. Does anybody have a good pic of the original style leg shields and/or dims?  I have materials and plasma cutter and would like to make a set of repos.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »

I have noticed that Wayne's nuts thread right on his axles, but fit tight on the stock simplex axles.  I really need to get a die for this BSC thread to chase the threads and see if that helps.

I just bought a tap and die in 7/16-26 BSC.  I cleaned up a pair of axles for the sportsman, and they thread like new now!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:10:14 PM by RickS »
Rick