Author Topic: Early Simplex rear hub  (Read 278 times)

hoser1

• View Profile
Early Simplex rear hub
« on: February 03, 2022, 05:25:24 PM »
What is the going price for a complete Simplex rear hub and brakes? Earlier the better. I'm having a lot of trouble with the '37. It has been really badly abused. Thanks for any input.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Early Simplex rear hub
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 04:19:20 AM »
I think it's going to be very hard to find a 1937 era hub.  What exactly is wrong with the one you have?  Post some pictures, maybe we can help you figure it out.
Rick

hoser1

• View Profile
Re: Early Simplex rear hub
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 09:08:24 AM »
Thanks Rick for quick reply. I tried to send some pics yesterday, but they were too big.  I'll have to figure out how to reduce them. You are right about finding one like it. I've talked to Wayne a number of times about this rear hub and he has never seen one like it. Both front and back hubs were made in England. Someone in the past replace the balls with caged bearings which were not the right size. The caged bearings were placed in the original cups and wore thru. One side was replaced with a larger caged bearing causing a wheel wobble which resulted in destroying bearing, cup and part of the hub. The wobble caused the brake shoes to wear thru the tin backing plate. I was going to replace the backing plate, but now see where the hub has separated from the drum. This will have to be welded and trued. Since this isn't a restoration, I thought maybe best to try to replace the whole rear hub with a later Simplex. Just wondering how expensive that would be.