Author Topic: Four Throttle Controls  (Read 2243 times)

pd

• View Profile
Four Throttle Controls
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
I've posted a couple of these before .

Not having the original throttle control mechanism , I needed something . I wanted an internal bar type control , similar to the original .
I suppose I could just call Wayne , but that's way too easy . ;)

So , the first throttle control I tried was a simple in/out slide grip . I used the OEM style solid core cable . It worked but I thought it lacked the finite control of my latest 'creation' .

I discarded the solid core cable to increase the chances of a much smoother function . I replaced that cable with bicycle brake control cable which I've used since^ . Mission accomplished .

The next was :

That^ one needed too much 'contact' which translated to friction / drag . Not good .

Next came :

(I used the bicycle cable , rather than the solid core depicted)

I really wanted the grip to stay in one place and twist . Not slip in and out on the bar . It worked better than the first try , but ...

The latest employs a dowel , a few screws , a small spacer , washers , some aluminum flashing , bailing wire , and a bit of nylon string .
This latest is fairly smooth and it affords good snap back to shut the carb down , quick .

Pete . :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:38:11 AM by pd »
Goes around , Comes around . :)

WillH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Four Throttle Controls
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:24:18 AM »
I am interested in your throttle control experiments. I am working on the same type throttle. I am using bicycle derailleur cable, which is smaller and more flexible than brake cable. My throttle handle will move in and out to pull the cable; the older Simplex used this type control. How did you make the spiral slot in your second experiment? A CNC mill sounds like the best way but I don't have access to one.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:48:15 AM »
WillH ,

The last three throttle tubes are PVC ( built in slippery ;) ) . I just used a fiber metal blade on my circular ( Skil ) saw and cleaned the edges with a fresh utility blade . That method isn't near as precise as a CNC mill , but it works and is a tiny bit less expensive and less time consuming . Mass production might be a different story ...

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

WillH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 06:59:56 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Pete. I'm working with 1" X .065" 4130 tubing; super smooth inside and a near perfect fit to my 7/8" OD bars.

I have always wondered what the bobble is in the spiral slot in the early controls; cruse control?