Author Topic: Simplex Speedometers  (Read 9962 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Simplex Speedometers
« on: August 11, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »
While taking the Simplex on it's first voyage in 20 years.  The speedometer was squealing and jumping around (the needle that is).  That's a classic sign of dried out lubricant on the drive bushing.  By the looks of it, the unit has been apart before, or someone tried to take it apart.  I've been hesitant to mess with it until I had a plan together.  I unscrewed the drive cable while I was cruising down the road before it froze up (have had this happen in Studebakers in the past & just as they are trying to freeze up, they will snap off the small drive pin that the needle attaches to).

Anyone have any luck tinkering with these?  I'm sure it was made by some speedo company who sold them to anyone & would put any brand name on them.  Or, is there any services out there with good reputations on repairing them?
Mike Sal

illMATTic

• View Profile
Re: Simplex Speedometers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:55 AM »
Have a photo of it?

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »
heres mine

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:09:23 AM »
Mine looks just like BMJ's.  I think my bracket is a little shorter though.  Although I have a powerfull urge to try to take it apart, I'd rather know what I'm doing before messing with.  I've torn into studebaker speedo's before (made by stewart warner) so it can't be too much different.  The Simplex speedo is so rare, I don't want to take any unnecssary risks.
Mike Sal

Dominic DiMarko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »
This service is offered through one of the well respected moderators of the CABE, an old bicycle site.
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?18400-Speedometer-Restoration
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:00:18 PM by Dominic DiMarko »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »
Mike, did you ever do anything with your speedo?  I just got one with some parts for the sportsman, but it needs a lot of help.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
Rick ,

Do we have pics of an OEM speedometer ? Face and body ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
Rick ,

Do we have pics of an OEM speedometer ? Face and body ?

Just the one above.  If someone has a better photo, lets see it!
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
Yes , please . Someone post better pics of an OEM Simplex speedometer face and body .

Rick ,
Would it be beneficial to start a picture 'library' section ?
Good pics of every part of our bikes to be used as reference . Each pic labeled , of course and no posting allowed other than parts pics .
That way anyone can visually identify parts for questions or answers .

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:53:53 PM »
When I get home (I"m currently in Queretaro Mexico on business) I'll take some close up photos of mine.  I never got around to taking it apart, as I wanted to really make sure I knew what I was doing.  I took the cable out of the casing for the time being.  I would guess a guy could use the guts out of a cheap speedo (like from an old excersize bike) to repair ours, but who knows untill you see the insides.
Mike Sal

WillH

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »
Yes , please . Someone post better pics of an OEM Simplex speedometer face and body .

Rick ,
Would it be beneficial to start a picture 'library' section ?
Good pics of every part of our bikes to be used as reference . Each pic labeled , of course and no posting allowed other than parts pics .
That way anyone can visually identify parts for questions or answers .

Is this what you want? This one sold recently on Ebay.

Will

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »
Here's what mine looks like.  I've not tried to buff out the bezel or anything yet, as I've still not decided how I want to tinker with it.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Is the glass flat or is it "bubbled"?  I spoke to Wayne about these, and he said they are not hard to work on.  The hard part is removing the bezel.  They are pressed on and really tight fitting.  I used a wood block to tap mine off.  The one I have is missing the lens and needle.  Wayne has a reproduction face that sticks on available. I will post it when I get it.

Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
The glass is flat.  I just talked to Wayne (he's just back from 2 weeks vacation in Florida) & he said I was the 2nd person to ask about speedo's today.....was that you Rick?

He confirmed that the guts are very similar to a stewart warner, which I've worked on several in the past.  Since mine has been apart in the past, it might not be too bad to take down again (or worse....we'll have to see).

Wayne said he had a handfull of speedo's & some odd parts which he's salvaged out of junkers.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
The glass is flat.  I just talked to Wayne (he's just back from 2 weeks vacation in Florida) & he said I was the 2nd person to ask about speedo's today.....was that you Rick?

He confirmed that the guts are very similar to a stewart warner, which I've worked on several in the past.  Since mine has been apart in the past, it might not be too bad to take down again (or worse....we'll have to see).

Wayne said he had a handfull of speedo's & some odd parts which he's salvaged out of junkers.
Mike Sal

Yes Mike, that was me!  I am mocking up the Sportsman.  I have most of the stuff, and just ordered some more from Wayne yesterday. He called me from Florida to let me know he got my message last week and I told him I would call in the order when he got home.

Get anywhere on those tank bars?  I may need one soon.

I will start posting pictures of the sportsman soon.  It takes a lot more time to put one of these together as I have never seen one and did not get to take this one apart!
Rick