Author Topic: Simplex Speedometers  (Read 9961 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex Speedometers
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
Rick, I'll try to get those done for you.....I've just been so lazy due to the cold weather this year, it's hard to make myself go out to the shop.  I need to break down & spend the money on a good heating system for the big shop.
Mike Sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
Well if you do as I did it's easy and cheep. I found a cadet speedo made by Stewart Warner I think, and sold by Sears. Its 1/4 the cost and you just replace the face to make it look right. This one on eBay # 271391994401 looks good. Just a differnt source for parts.

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »
I had the chance today to look at an original Simplex speedometer. Stewart Warner made and looks identical to a Stewart Warner bicycle speedo I had. But! I noticed it was heavier than the bicycle speedo. Looking closely at the patina which looked green I could see a light color which looked like brass. After going outside where these old eyes could see better. This appears to brass with old oxidation, the green color. There is no rust on this anywhere except for the steel nut that holds the shaft. A magnet does stick to the housing. Whats up! I thought they were all steel. Could some of these have been made of brass or something else. I wouldn't have thought so, too expensive. Maybe something special I don't know. But it doesn't appear to be plain stamped steel. Any ideas?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 07:29:43 AM »
I have never seen a brass speedometer housing.  All the ones I have seen are steel.  Any chance what you are looking at is cadmium plating?  Post a picture so we can have a look see.
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »
Not to mention, brass is non-magnetic. 

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
This belongs to a friend of mine. We picked it up from Bob Kerr here in Oklahoma. It sure appears to be brass with old green oxidation. Correct Simplex green logo face. Really nice. I want to clean the green off but I don't dare till I know more about it. The patina is really cool. It's identical to my steel Stewart Warner speedometer. Is the original Simplex speedometers for the sportsman supposed to be the hammered silver paint? Also, does anyone have a picture of the correct cable and drive for a Simplex. Or is it the same as the old style bicycle type. I'll get picture when my wife gets back from her trip with the camera.

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 08:10:01 AM »
Also this is a lot heavier than the steel speedometer

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
The original speedometer that came with my sportsman had a silver hammered finish on it.  It was well worn, so I glass beaded it and repainted with rustoleum hammered silver and the match was almost perfect.

I tried goggle-ing Stewart Warner Cadet speedometer and Brass, and did not find anything.  Does it look cast or stamped?
Rick

bjm

• View Profile
    • millers powder coating
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »
heres mine, all steel

also powder coated mine in a silver vein, looks like new
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:36:26 PM by bjm »

Bob53

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
Well I was wrong about the one that looks like brass being heavier. I got a set of electronic scales and both speedos tip the scale at 230 grams each. It sure felt heavier. Also noticed the lens is glass instead of plastic.  I might try to clean it with mild soap and a rag before I take pictures. Does anyone have a picture of an original drive hub and cable for a sportsman.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 12:42:44 PM »
Before and after pics are best . That way we can see how much better or worse you accomplished . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »
Here you go Bob.

Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »
Rick , how does that attach to the hub ? Maybe a J nut and screw ?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
Just slides on the axle with a spacer.  The hub has a rod welded to it that goes in one of the perimeter holes to spin it.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
Hmm , I'da thought they would have attached the rod to the drive plate instead of the hub .