Author Topic: 56 with a Honda GC190 build thread  (Read 56826 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 56 with a Honda GC190 build thread
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
The contact surface does not look very wide.  Might just chew up the teeth. Jim L used part of a chevy flexplate and starter gear to accomplish the same thing on an old briggs motor.

It is a bit thinner than a stock unit. However, they are designded to last 10 years or more cutting every week on the mower. And it was free.  ;D

Not much pressure on a steering gear vs a kick starter.  I have never seen a good stock simplex pinion gear!
Rick

dw1973

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 06:01:58 AM »
I am not sure on that. The Simplex speedo on Ebay was a bit toasty. It went to $96 without meeting the reserve. It looks similar to this one as far as shape.

I hope I have enough cable here to fit. If not, I can run it on one of my old bicycles.

What is your top end speed with the GC190 engine?   I plan on using this engine on my bike with Wayne's motor mount/jackshaft set up.

Dave

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »
Hi Dave.  Bill Miller has a GC190 and told me he has gone better than 50mph on it.  I told him that is too fast for simplex brakes!  LOl
Rick

dw1973

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »
That is quick.   I will need a rim with a front brake if I can find one for sale. 

I spoke with Wayne today and he said his set up is only for GX200 engines.   He said he plans on making a mount/jack shaft set up in the future for the GC engines.

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »
I have not had it out since the first run. I will have some time to play around with it now that boating season is just about done.

I didn't wind it up all the way. I was no were close to 50 though.

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 08:04:12 PM »
Well I was able to get the exhaust finished. I fished a couple old exhaust parts out of the scrap bin at work. I cut and welded them to get the shape I wanted coming out of the engine. I then ran some of that stainless flex tubing for the rest of the way to the muffler. Then some pipe wrap to hide it all.

Next I must get rid of those damn feet. ::)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
"Next I must get rid of those damn feet. "

Maybe if you covered them with some long furry material you like them better ? :D
Goes around , Comes around . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 05:56:54 AM »
Well I decided to go ahead and start on the saddle yesterday. I wasn't sure how it would turn out since it was my first time doing any sort of leather work. I am pretty happy with the result.

First I traced out the seat pan and cut the patterns. I didn't want to rivet the bottom so I went with a full skin on both sides. I clamped them face to face and ran my marking tool all around the perimeter. This gave me the correct spacing for the stitches. Then I just hammered out each one.

I used saddle tan for the dye. Notice it looks splotchy. I think this is due to some oils and residue on the surface. I found out I should clean the leather before dyeing. I think it will look good once it has some time on it.

I stitched up half of the cover and then slid the pan into it. I had to wet the inside a bit to help mold itself to the pan. You can see on the bottom I hrelieveeleave the leather a bit. Since I made the top and bottom the same size it became very tight when trying to get it stitched all the way. It took me about 3.5 hours to get it all stitched and formed. No breaks.  ;)

I used a standard saddle stich. I am sure years of practice will help tidy up the stitches.

Once it is completely dry I will apply a sealer to the leather. The sealer also gives it a more even look.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »
First time ? Not bad at all . :)

And , how many can say " I did the seat myself " ?

Pete . :)

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:52 AM »
Thanks. I still need to trim the edges and polish it. I was on the home stretch last night and wanted to just get it stitched up. I was on it for 3.5 hours. I finished up after midnight.  :o

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
BTDT . I've been known to work a project 'til done . Done being the wee hours of the morning . I've found myself amazed that the sun was coming up 'already' . ;)

But it's a good feeling to have the project done .

Pete . :)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
That's a great job!  Way to stay at it.

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
The leather turned out pretty crispy after I wet it and dyed it. So I called Fiebings and they told me to use this or 100% Neatsfoot oil. This was half the price. After a couple rubdowns with this it should be ready for the sealer. You guys may try this on your old saddles.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
Hmm , what's the oil compounded with?

illMATTic

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »
It says other natural oils on the website.