Author Topic: greetings from the Netherlands  (Read 2039 times)

joemania

• View Profile
    • Email
greetings from the Netherlands
« on: April 20, 2015, 12:56:28 AM »
Hello everyone,

i just arrived in this forum and i am fairly new to the simplex community. My main interest is the history of world war two and especially operation Market Garden which in september 1944 liberated the area i live in. All sort off vehicles were used like jeeps, trucks and motors. During static shows of vehicles you see a lot of harleys, cushman and British brands like BSA, Norton. But there are also pictures know that the simplex servicycle was used here by the American soldiers.
If you scroll down on this page http://www.theliberator.be/militarybicycles.htm you can read a small article about the servicycle in use by the us army.
I'm 34 years young, father of two boys(3 and 1 year) and in the future i would like to own my own simplex servicycle. My dream would be an army issued one but let's see what gets on my path in the future.

When i was browsing the internet for information i also found there was a Dutch(and a British one too) company named simplex who made motorcycles.
I'm hoping to find some good information here to help me out in the future.

Regards,
Frenk...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: greetings from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
 Welcome Frenk!  Have you ever seen a Servi-Cycle over in The Netherlands? I would imagine that there are not many left in all of Europe.

Rick

ndian22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
Welcome Frenk, Thank you for the history you presented. I've never been to your country but have traveled to many countries & heard many stories of equipment used & often left behind during WWII. Our Air Force, as a separate branch, also used the Simplex after the war on bases throughout the world from Iceland to Turkey as well as here in the U.S. Rick C.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
Welcome Frenk . :)

Goes around , Comes around . :)

Eitek1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »
Hi Frenk...

Thought you might like this. It's from another thread in this forum
http://www.simplexservi-cycle.com/index.php?topic=451.0

It's a paratrooper simplex. If your interested in Market Garden you have to at least like the paratroopers.

As a side note..
I was a paratrooper and served with one of your fellow Countrymen. He was also in an area liberated by American Paratroopers and heard stories of them from his grandparents wanted to become one. He did and was a great soldier.

Airborne All The Way!

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
A belated welcome Eitek1 . :)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)