Author Topic: What is it worth???  (Read 663 times)

locolyn

• View Profile
What is it worth???
« on: January 16, 2023, 03:06:30 PM »
Hi, new to the site from central Iowa.
I'm looking at a 1949 Service cycle. It looks like it's all there just not put together. The engine is supposed to be original and has just been completely rebuilt professionally. Frame not rusted out or bent just needs cleaned up and painted. Wheels look to be in good shape, tires junk. My big question is what is this thing worth in this conditon??? I'm new to servi cycle and don't want to over pay. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 03:08:13 PM by locolyn »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is it worth???
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 04:47:23 PM »
Post some pictures so we can see exactly what you have.  If the motor was professionally rebuilt, by whom?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 05:19:20 AM »
Welcome locolyn . :)

How much are the sellers asking ?

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

locolyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 11:28:59 AM »
Hope pics show correctly. Seller asking $2200. Don’t know who rebuilt engine. Owner passed away and had a collection of Cushman and Whizzer’s that look in pretty good condition.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 03:23:46 PM »
Nice looking bike! What are the numbers on the motor?  By any chance is there a number on the frame? If there is, it will be on a plate, under the neck.  Looks like the motor has a late model Phelon ignition, which didn’t start until 1956. Post a picture of the front of the magneto.  That is probably worth around $2000 as it sits.
Rick

Scooter4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 04:26:17 PM »
Good evening,
Looks like a great start! Much better than I faired with my 49.  We worked on it thru summer last year and their are a lot of posts to look at.
Looked like that is a curved down kicker and should be curved up.  I dont think 49 had that aircleaner.  Check cylinder in front to see if the hole is threaded for a decompressor.  K engine would have Wico magneto.

Mine has a lot of mismatched about it.

Good luck,
Scooter

locolyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 05:03:12 PM »
I thought it looked pretty good too. I don’t know a lot about Simplex so if I’m successful with the purchase you will be seeing a lot of questions from me. What cylinder I’m I looking at for a hole in it? Rick believes it may be a 56 engine so … I need to get more pics and numbers but big snowstorm on the way, might be a couple days.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 05:25:48 PM »
I thought it looked pretty good too. I don’t know a lot about Simplex so if I’m successful with the purchase you will be seeing a lot of questions from me. What cylinder I’m I looking at for a hole in it? Rick believes it may be a 56 engine so … I need to get more pics and numbers but big snowstorm on the way, might be a couple days.

I did not say it may be a 1956 engine. I said it looks like a 1956 or later magneto.  You can put an early or late magneto on any engine.
 I would need an engine number to determine the year. The bike should have a L engine.
Rick

locolyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 09:29:06 AM »
OK, I misunderstood. I’ll try to get some more pics and numbers soon. Thanks!

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 09:45:09 AM »
How much is the guy asking? Looks like a great candidate to just reassemble and ride, or go all out on a restoration.
Rick

locolyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 09:55:17 AM »
He’s asking $2200 for the works. It is supposed to have new tires also but don’t know what type/brand.

locolyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 10:22:29 AM »
I don’t believe they know who rebuilt the engine. What would you offer to start off with?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »
I’d offer $1500. If it’s relatively close, I would go with cash. If they don’t except your offer you can always go up.
Rick

locolyn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 11:12:03 AM »
Thanks Rick, that’s what I’ll do. It’ll be a day or two but I’ll post what the outcome is.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 01:40:17 PM »
Did you wind up buying this bike?
Rick