Author Topic: Oil/gas mix?  (Read 4021 times)

Red

• View Profile
    • Email
Oil/gas mix?
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:49:07 PM »
I am about to run my motor for the first time and figured I'd ask yall how should I mix oil and gas till broken in

pd

• View Profile
Re: Oil/gas mix?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
I'd mix the same as you plan on always running it .

I've never ran a higher oil count at start up .
I don't think I've ever seen a two stroke anything that had a different mix for break in recommended .

I just did a quick Google and found that some of the Chinese scooter makes say to double break in oil .
I'm not sure I would , but ...
Then I found this article :
http://www.everything2stroke.com/content/30-2-stroke-Engine-Break-in-and-what-you-need-to-know

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Red

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:32 AM »
Good write up,Thanks

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »
Hmmm. the article recommended 32/1 mix ratio.  Bob Kerr says these motors like as much oil as they can stand.  The mix I have in the bike now is 16/1 but I think it smokes a little more than I'd like.

Anyone else running 32/1 & if so, have you had any issues?
Mike sal

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 06:38:56 AM »
I forget where this topic thread is it may be on that long winded topic that pd started. It was stated you could use a 40:1 up to 50:1 mix with no harm. Me myself I try running 40:1 but I have low compression and need a rebuild.  ;D

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
I run mine at 50-1 with Echo brand 2 stroke oil.  Same mix I use in my string trimmer and blower.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
My 2 stroke experiences started with outboard motors from the 50's & old motorcycles from the 60's.  I ran 40:1 in every 2 stroke motor I ever had & never had fouling problems.....But, they were always oversquare motors (bore larger than the stroke). 

With the Simplex, you've got a combination of undersquare design (stroke longer than bore) as well as barely adequate cooling fins.  This makes me cringe about the idea of a 50:1 ratio.  I do like to hear that you guys have been able to get away with the leaner mixes though.  I'd rather fuss with a fouled plug once in a while vs a siezed piston.

I think I'll go to 32:1 to see how much smoke it generates.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »
I might bring up the fact that today's oils are more refined than oils of 40+ years ago . They also likely have additives that were not available then .
Goes around , Comes around . :)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
I might bring up the fact that today's oils are more refined than oils of 40+ years ago . They also likely have additives that were not available then .

That is my feeling exactly.  Simplex didn't have available what we have.  All the 2 strokes now run much less oil nowadays.  I ran some at 20-1 and all I got was more smoke!
Rick