Author Topic: Exhaust Pipe Spacing  (Read 1804 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Exhaust Pipe Spacing
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »
I have a question for you guys with dual exhausts.  What is the center to center spacing between the ends of the pipes (at the back)?  I noticed that I have a close clearance between the right side rear bracket and the brake rod.  I had the brackets mounted on the inside of the rear drop out plates, but I think they need to be on the outside.  I either have to spread the pipes or bend the brackets.

My bike originally had the stubby muffler, so this dual set up I have (purchased from Wollards's son) will have to be tweaked a little to make it a good fit.  I had it on temporarily when I first tried to start the bike (a few coughs so far, but I was only spoon feeding fuel to it.

I'd like to get a few reports to see how much these things probably varied.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exhaust Pipe Spacing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »
7 1/2" on centers.  I have a little over a 1/4" of clearance at the brake rod.  If you want a picture, let me know.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »
Thanks Rick.  My pipes are 7.5 inches exactly, so I'll tweak the brakets.

I had problems trying to install the spiral wrap trim I got from Wayne onto my pipes.  He told me that his reproduction stuff is slightly smaller than original (and not made of aluminium like the original) and is a tight fit on original exhaust pipes.  I had to sand off most of the powder coating to get them to fit.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
Wayne told me one time that simplex used a metric pipe size on the exhaust that is NLA, and that is why the exhaust manifolds fit a little loose with his reproduction exhausts. I wonder how much difference the diameter is. I will go measure the ones I got from Wayne, and another that may be original and report back.  Measure yours Mike!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
Stock Simplex is 30mm OD while Wayne's is 28.6mm OD.  Why would Wayne use such a size?  Because 28.6MM is 1.125", which is standard 1 1/8 tube!  Mystery solved!  I have never tried to buy 30mm tube, but it is probably not readily available here in the US.
Rick