Author Topic: Carburator Linkage  (Read 2657 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Carburator Linkage
« on: August 11, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »
Ok, I screwed the pooch while trying to adjust the throttle linkage (it wasn't returning to idle when I closed the grip), it twisted off the little screw that goes into the bushing that the cable slides thru.  How much of a pain in the *ss is it going to be to get that thing drilled or cut out without screwing the whole thing up?  I still need to do more adjusting.  Otherwise I'm going to have to figure out where to anchor a return spring.  (BTW, it's the MT57 late model carb).

On another note, has anyone used one of those 99 dollar reproduction carbs that Carpenter's sell?  If so, how did it work out?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Carburator Linkage
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »
Ok, I screwed the pooch while trying to adjust the throttle linkage (it wasn't returning to idle when I closed the grip), it twisted off the little screw that goes into the bushing that the cable slides thru.  How much of a pain in the *ss is it going to be to get that thing drilled or cut out without screwing the whole thing up?  I still need to do more adjusting.  Otherwise I'm going to have to figure out where to anchor a return spring.  (BTW, it's the MT57 late model carb).

On another note, has anyone used one of those 99 dollar reproduction carbs that Carpenter's sell?  If so, how did it work out?

Mike Sal

I have a repro carb on the rat bike. Runs great.  I drilled 2 additional holes in the main nozzle to mimmic the original. The only difference I found is when tuning it. I have the needle adjusting screw opened 2 turns instead of 1.

With these carbs available, I would not spend the time or money looking for an original replacement unless I was doing a 100% correct restoration.  Just for reference, I bought a rebuilt original from Wayne several years ago, and it was $225.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »
Well, the Simplex took it's maiden voyage down the street this evening!!!  It will run about a block then die out like it's running out of gas.  After waiting a minute, it started up again & ran about another block.  I noticed that the needle valve adjusting screw was loose & wet with fuel....it appears I must have left the packing out of the joint, for when I snugged down the packing nut, the screw is still loose. (I won't mention that when I first tried to start it I kicked it about a dozen times before I realized I'd forgotten to turn the key on.....what a dope.....).

It was getting late & sonya had supper ready, so I had to quit tonight.  I'll tinker again tomorrow if it's dry out (supposed to rain). 

As expected, the throttle isn't going back to idle due to needing more cable adjustment.  I guess I'll have to pull the carb & grind off the the bushing.  I can turn a new one to replace it I guess.  I might be tempted to get one of the re-pop carbs if it doesn't line out.  I had to butt the front wheel up against a stop to keep the bike from running away after getting it running when it wouldn't idle down enough to disengage the clutch.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 04:24:05 AM »
Well I confirmed that I had left the packing out of the needle valve adjuster & have no idea where it went.  I made a new packing out of some cotton string which I saturated with permatex.  So far it seems to be working.

For a temporary spring for the throttle return I've got a rubber band & zip tie on the linkage.  I hate the idea of tearing the carb back off to get that bushing cut off, but a guys work is never done......
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »
Mike ,

It's not work ... At least we don't want to think of it as work .
I guess that's why we call it a hobby . ;)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
Well, the bike wouldn't start at all tonight.....I called Wayne & he said I probably got the new packing material in too far & it's blocking the fuel flow.  Sure enough, when I pulled it out, the string hadn't stayed wound up & part of it was further into the hole than it should have been.  I tried making a packing out of some leather but don't know if it's better or worse.....I'll have to tinker with it some more tomorrow night.....
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
Mike ,

You might try a felt packing , if that leather doesn't work out . I've used plastic before and that worked , too .

Pete . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
I didn't have time to pull the valve & nut off this morning, but I think the next plan is to see if I can find a miniature O-ring that will fit.  It's frustrating that such a tiny part has brought the whole project to a halt.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:29:38 AM »
But Mike ,
You have to know that it's the little things that make the big things run . ;)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
Yipeeee.....the leather packing works like a charm, the bike runs great, starts easy cold & starts easy hot.  If I hadn't twisted off that stupid throttle adjuster, the power train part of this bike would be officially done.

But.....the lights don't work.....arghhhhh.  Wayne still doesn't have any of the late model brake switches, so I guess I'll start a new thread to b*tch about......

Mike Sal
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:41:42 PM by Mike Sal »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:08:39 PM »
"Yipeeee.....the leather packing works like a charm, the bike runs great, starts easy cold & starts easy hot."

Excellent . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
Good job Mike!  We need to set up a little race for Portland next summer.  We can drag down the side road!
Rick