Author Topic: Reproduction Carburator  (Read 4207 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reproduction Carburator
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
Just got the new repop carb from Carpenters today.  I figure I'll give it a try.  The 3rd small box it came in said made in china....guess I shouldn't be surprised.....

Now if I can just find those small odd 7/16 wrenches to get at that back side nut to get the old carb off......there's no way I'm pulling that magneto in order to get at it.....
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction Carburator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
Mike ,

I never even thought about pulling the mag . It's a tight fit , but I never had a problem removing the carb .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:00:48 AM »
An ignition wrench works really well to get to the magneto side nut.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »
I myself pull the trans out and attack it from above.  8)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »
I have an ignition wrench set, but the 7/16 "open" wrench is missing.  I'm going to take the hot wrench & try to make one out of a chinese wrench.  I had also thought about pulling the tranny, but if I can bend up a new one that might be less trouble.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
Mike , maybe you loaned that 7/16" ignition wrench to Rick ? :D

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:46 AM »
Mike, are you going to try it as received or are you going to modify it?
Rick

57 ford

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
   Mike hi once you get the carb off. what I did was cut a U on the right side hole  so you don't have to take the nut  all the way off the next time.  Hank

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
I'm afraid that by cutting the far side hole into a slot, it might allow the flange to warp.  Taking the spring off the transmission, removing the left side mag cover retainer, & using the homemade wrench was the ticket to get that pesky nut off.

I plan to do some baseline runs w/ the carb before tinkering.  If the fuel tube from the old carb will fit (and it has an extra set of holes like some of you have mentioned), I'll try swapping it back & forth before drilling any holes in it.
I got the carb unbolted last night but it's still attached to the throttle cable. I'll use a dremel cut off wheel to cut a slot in the twisted off screw to see if I can unscrew it.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
Mike ,

I put a double gasket at the carb mount to help shield heat . I want to add an aluminum layer between the gaskets as extra protection .

If you find that you have too many holes in the fuel tube , you can carefully solder them shut and file the excess off .
I've done that with good results .

Pete . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »
Compared the Carpenter Carb to the Tilliston tonight.  I don't like the shorter throw of the throttle linkage.  At least it's adjustable & I can make a new one & install it without too much trouble if need be.

Several differences in the orifice sizes on the fuel needle & tube, besides being fewer holes.  Have any of you played with opening up the other holes?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »
Did you notice that the hole in the bottoms of the inner & outer tubes match?

I also noticed the venturi throat is slightly smaller on the repop but I didn't go to the trouble to try to measure it it. 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
Mike, you rode a bike with a cushman repro carb on it!  All I did was adjust the throttle arm to the correct location and added 2 holes in the jet stack.
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »
I wonder beside thinking that Mike doesn't have enough work to keep him busy is, has anyone ask them if they could got a carb built that's closer to simplex specs?   ???  You know if there that close can they get a change or two done at the factory??? Also I know idle hands are the devils workshop, but all work and no play makes Mike a grumpy man...lol

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
I'd be surprised if we could get anyone to carry a "Simplex" version carb due to the fact we must be outnumbered a thousand to one compared to Cushman.

I wonder if the thought behind the larger holes and more holes was to compensate for the heavy oil mix they used back in the day.  The Cushman application only had raw gas passing thru.

Hey...watch those comments!!!!.....I'll lay odds that each & every one of you are just as  bad as me on having way too many irons in the fire!!! (If you're not....count your blessings.....I can't seem to get anything finished cause I jump from one project to another......) :)
Mike Sal