Author Topic: Modified flywheel and piston??  (Read 1914 times)

CharlieT

• View Profile
    • Email
Modified flywheel and piston??
« on: September 19, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »
Ok, just started to tear down a 1947 H model engine and have come across a couple of interesting things.

One is the flywheel attachment to the crank.

All the pics of cranks I've sen have a threaded end. I'm guessing that at sometime in the past, someone buggered up the threads and resorted to welding the thing on.  ???

Item #2....the piston.

Ok, I've slotted or drilled holes in 2-stroke pistons on the exhaust side when there was a bridged exhaust port. I've also have had pistons with a window cut into the intake side. However I've never come across a piston with slots cut thru the intake side. And yes, I mean cut thru...all the way thru the skirt.

Are my assumptions correct that these are non-standard?

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Modified flywheel and piston??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »
That is a factory piston.  It is the thrust side of the piston and when the engine fires it offers some flex as the combustion takes place.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
Well, one thing about it, who ever welded that crank was a talented welder......your going to have to go in with a mill cutter to cut it off in order to save the flywheel I think.

Lots of old cars & motors used slotted pistons in the old days.  Offered some flex during the power stroke as well as a chance for oil to get to the cylinder wall.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »
Welcome CharlieT . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

CharlieT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »
Well, I'll be. Had never come across a piston cut like that before. Vertical shallow grooves cut in the skirt to aid in oil retention, but never cut clean thru the skirt. I suppose with the piston thickness and the low compression, wasn't too much danger of shattering the skirt.

Thaks for the info.