Author Topic: Bolt size for cylinder  (Read 2469 times)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
Bolt size for cylinder
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »
Can someone tell me what size bolt to use on the cylinder? I can get bolts to fit on the one side...but I can't find bolts short enough to fit in the tight space that are long enough to get a nut on. Is there suppose to be a stud, or is there a bolt that fits ???

pd

• View Profile
Re: Bolt size for cylinder
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
A stud and two nuts were used there .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:19:47 AM »
Thanks...I wondered :-\

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:49:33 AM »
I believe they are fine threaded studs with locking type nuts .
Sorry , but I don't recall what size they are .

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:05:20 AM »
I thought of a stud and 2 nuts last night while attempting to sleep...I thought before they might have had studs mounted in the case and someone had drilled them out like they did for the holes in the flywheel to mount the pinion gear >:(.... there are a lot of little set backs popping up that I had not noticed before, now that I am starting to assemble it. These little set backs aren't a easy to deal with when you are working out of a wood shop...although I am considering attempting to make a flywheel cover out of a solid chunck of walnut on the lathe... I mean wood lathe, lol

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:41:15 AM »
They are 3/8 fine thread studs.

As for the flywheel, what size holes did they drill?  If they are not too big, you can install steel inserts and bring them back to the stock 1/4-20 size.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 05:17:16 PM »
That is what I ended up doing, but one of the holes was offset enough that the side of it broke out and I had to give it the jb weld trick to hold it in place, the other 2 went in straight in and are solid. I think it is going to work out alright. I am going to have to use 1/4" allen heads to bole the pinion gear on though instead of the studs that wayne sent me b/c the nuts hit the gear when I try to tighten them up.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 05:43:25 PM »
That is what I ended up doing, but one of the holes was offset enough that the side of it broke out and I had to give it the jb weld trick to hold it in place, the other 2 went in straight in and are solid. I think it is going to work out alright. I am going to have to use 1/4" allen heads to bole the pinion gear on though instead of the studs that wayne sent me b/c the nuts hit the gear when I try to tighten them up.

Post a picture of the flywheel with the pinion gear on it.  There should be enough clearance for the nuts un less your studs are oversize.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
I don't have any bolts or studs holding the washer behind the pinion gear .

The OEM washer was not included with the purchase of my bike . :(

I replaced it with a thick aluminum washer with a beveled edge . If you look close , it can be seen ...

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
Pete, the phelon used a screw on pinion gear.  I know Bob Kerr made some like that for the wico flywheels at one time.
Rick

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »
Don't have the flywheel with me now, I took it to my mechanic brother and he is the one that fixed the bad hole with jb weld.  It seems to be ok now, but w/o the jb, it wanted to set in a little crooked. I think I could have made it work with the studs, It was just easier to put the allen heads in. Pd my flywheel is a wico, I think yours is a phelon.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:16:15 PM »
Yes , mine is a Phelon magneto and the pinion gear simply screws on the end of the crankshaft . My flywheel has the 3 holes , but I thought that those were for pulling the flywheel off the shaft .

I would think the Wyco would be similar .