Author Topic: New guy from WI  (Read 1523 times)

panheadguy

• View Profile
    • Email
New guy from WI
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
I got my Simplex from a rummage sale 25> years ago. I believe it to be a 48-49 model. Possibly an L. No engine or trans parts. And can't find a number on underside of neck. I'm thoroughly confused at this point after trying to pin it down. Anyway... it lived for a long time in my barn along with other neglected projects. A few years ago my daughter took in to Chicago and put it in her office; it has now come home and I want to use it for my pit bike. I got in touch with Wayne and ordered a motor plate for it to mount a clone. The rear wheel was loose and I'm a feared that some spacers and other parts may be missing. Is there a good picture/ diagram of all the parts between the drop outs?
Lastly thanks in advance for the help I will need in the future.
I'll throw up a picture as soon as I figure out how.
Panheadguy
The police never think it's as funny as I do

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New guy from WI
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
You should find the pictures you need in the manuals section.  All the years are pretty much the same in regards to the rear wheel mounting.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
Welcome Pan!  Show us what a rummage sale Simplex looks like!!

panheadguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 04:48:47 PM »
You should find the pictures you need in the manuals section.  All the years are pretty much the same in regards to the rear wheel mounting.
I have not been able to find a picture of the rear wheel as assembled to the frame. When the wheel is centered  it looks like I need a spacer between the brake assembly and the drop-out. Or should there be a jam nut next to the backing plate?

panheadguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Welcome Pan!  Show us what a rummage sale Simplex looks like!!
Here is my rummage sale Simplex. Can you id it as something other than a K or L

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
I have not been able to find a picture of the rear wheel as assembled to the frame. When the wheel is centered  it looks like I need a spacer between the brake assembly and the drop-out. Or should there be a jam nut next to the backing plate?

1960 model m manual has a great picture.  There is a star washer and a full size nut that holds the backing plate on to the axle.  A jam nut is used on the opposite side.
Rick

panheadguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 05:25:13 AM »
Thanks! I'll give it a look. Tried to post pictures but file too big. I'm not sure what to do about that.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
Thanks! I'll give it a look. Tried to post pictures but file too big. I'm not sure what to do about that.

If you can't resize the photos, email them to me and I will do it for you.
Rick