Author Topic: question about forks springs  (Read 1387 times)

Bruce

• View Profile
question about forks springs
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »
I was just talking to a friend of mine in CA and he said the fork he got had springs on it that were 3 piece....is that a replacement or did some come like that?

pd

• View Profile
Re: question about forks springs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »
I know some were two piece springs , but I've not heard of any three piece . Unless he's counting something other than just the springs .

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
That I don't know....he isn't the type to describe something wrong though.   I'll ask later to be sure

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
Maybe you could have him take a couple pictures and you could post them here for further scrutinization .

I'm sure we could come up with a believable story , if not reality . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:05 AM »
I've not seen any evidence yet that the main springs were anything but one piece.  If the bike was a factory front brake model, there was a rebound spring used above the triple tree, so as to total 4 springs, but the average bike had 2.  My guess is they were somebodies replacements.  I know that my origanal springs had rusted slightly & caused the I.D. to shrink a bit & then when powdercoated the forks, the increase in diameter of the rod kept the spring from moving at all.  I wound up buying replacement springs from Wayne (his are made slightly over size to compensate for powdercoating).
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
I've not seen any evidence yet that the main springs were anything but one piece.  If the bike was a factory front brake model, there was a rebound spring used above the triple tree, so as to total 4 springs, but the average bike had 2.  My guess is they were somebodies replacements.  I know that my origanal springs had rusted slightly & caused the I.D. to shrink a bit & then when powdercoated the forks, the increase in diameter of the rod kept the spring from moving at all.  I wound up buying replacement springs from Wayne (his are made slightly over size to compensate for powdercoating).
Mike Sal

I also had my originals powder coated and they were a little snug.  I also bought a chrome pair from Wayne, and they dress up the front end really nicely.
Rick