Author Topic: 1947 simplex with 50cc fully automatic chinese honda clone engine  (Read 11958 times)

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
Ive always thought a simplex would be a cool moped because of its size and looks. bought a 47 simplex with no motor and researched my states laws on what is classified as a moped so Ive purchased a 50cc chinese Honda clone fully automatic engine and installed it with a fabricated motor mount. the electrics were purchased off ebay and online. Ive fabricated a battery box and plan on running the origonal rear brake with the left hand brake. Modified a belt pulley to replace the output gear on the motor and plan on using the origonal rear tire pulley and see what happens. I have earlyer pics from when I first purchased it but they are on a computer that i don't have access to at this time but I do have pictures of it from the past few week Ive been working on it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:58:34 PM by admin »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1947 simplex with 50cc fully automatic chinese honda clone engine
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
Project looks awesome! Keep us posted with the progress.

PS:    Please size pictures so we don't have to scroll up-down and side to side to see them.  I resized these pictures for you.

Rick

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
some more pics of work in progress
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
Tried down sizing the pics this time. anyone interested in using an engine setup like this it was really inexpensive but I have access to a machine shop so some of the mods and fabrication might cost.  The engine is a new ebay motor - $198.00 this includes the shipping.  I purchased a wiring kit for I think was 189.00, it came with wiring harness and everything that plugs into it including the headlight,/speedo n cable, mirrors turn signals throttle/brake controls and cables, battery and battery box ect, I could not believe all the stuff in this kit. I had to buy a carb and odds and ends. Fabbed an exhaust from flexible stainless tubing I found in a scrap bin. Cut n welded a used beat up fishtail pipe. Had to cut n weld the intake manifold and turn it out to the side like a Harley because there was not enough clearance due to the frame and the electric starter. Fabricated a motor mount and battery box and used a old Christmas tin to house the electronics. Wheel races were in good shape so I just installed new bearings. Im planning on running the rear brake with the left front hand brake instead of the foot pedal. Still have to modify the front rim and spacers so I can use the speedometer.
   It runs now and all the lights work but I still have alot to do. I think tuesday I might crank it up and just give it a lil test ride in slow motion because right now all I have are Fred Flintstone brakes but Im just curious about the ratio and the belt drive and the automatic transmission. I feel I took a gamble with this set up and it might have to really rev high to get any speed but be able to pull stumps with it:) - Tony
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:17:07 AM by admin »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
Hi Tony,  I'm digging this project.  Keep up the good work!  How fast would you ride on a simplex?  50 mph? I know BJM has gone over 50 mph with a honda GC160 engine, but that might be a little too fast for me!

BTW, I combined your 2 threads into one, so we can follow along.  Just reply in this thread to keep everything together.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
If the final drive ratio is too low, you might look at a wheel pulley from a whizzer.  They're smaller than Simplex, but I don't know by how much.
Mike Sal

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »
Had about 1 min before I had to go to work for the first test ride so I put my camra phone in my drill press vice to catch it on film. Notice the fred flinstone brakes:) I tried to trim it down so it wont be to long if it is then I guess it wont work.

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »
Ok guys thank you for your help, Ill check out Wizzer pullys.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
I can't open the video.  I remember very well how flintstones brakes work.  When I was a kid, I welded up a 3 wheel bike & wanted to try it out before finishing unimportant things like brakes.....I got it going down a sloped street & wound up in the ditch......
Mike Sal

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
Mike I ordered and just recieved a new Whizzer pulley off of ebay. Ill post its performance after Ive installed it. Just getting the original pulley off without damage is going to take some time.- Thanks

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »
Ya if all those screws on the old pulley are rusty, it could be a real treat to get them all off without damaging the pulley or the little clips.  A rotozip tool & cut off wheel might be faster.

The slip on pulleys are also a little tricky, as the little wire that joins both ends can be rusted in place, making it hard to spread the pulley enough to get it off the pulley.
Mike Sal

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
Well the pulley is off and still in good shape. with PB blaster and time I was able to save all the hardware except three screws and nut that a cutoff tool in a dremmel worked as you said. When I have time I'm going to take pics and post some of the stuff I took off this bike and maybe do some horse trading with the guys on this site. 

Installed the Whizzer pulley and today plan on installing the belt and if everything lines up take her for a spin:) -TOny

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
What diameter is the Whizzer pulley?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »
Good luck on the test ride and looking forward to seeing some more pictures.  Are you going to Portland  next week?
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »
Any updates?  Have you ridden it yet?
Rick

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:26:17 AM »
Hi guys, been kinda busy lately hope yall doing good. The Whizzer pulley is fifteen" outside diameter. Installed it and with the engine redlining it reached a blistering speed of 25mph. Decided on a small block chevy single grove crank pulley that is 6 7/8 od. Drilled it and the rear hub with three holes and notched the side of the pulley that contacts the spokes. Have to make a spacer that goes in between the pulley and hub and spacer for the axil nut also. Ive taken some pics to show progress and some details that might be of interest. I think after I get the final drive working I next have to work out making the rear brake operational from the left hand brake and install a kick stand of some sort. I down sized some pics so I hope they are not too big or too small to see. One note on the motor I bought that was advertised as fully automatic, well it is because all you have to do is turn the throttle and it goes! .......but......it only one speed or shall I say only first gear. I wasnt counting on that and so now its a game of pulley size and ratios!