Author Topic: 1947 simplex with 50cc fully automatic chinese honda clone engine  (Read 11960 times)

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1947 simplex with 50cc fully automatic chinese honda clone engine
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 02:28:18 AM »
Difference between the Whizzer pulley and the small block crank pulley.

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 02:44:17 AM »
1)gas cap I made but still have to vent and weld in a baffle. Believe it or not but I found a metric equivalent that worked for the threads.
2)Key switch housing i made and installed where the choke knob would be.
3)old Christmas tin I painted striped the outline and put logo on, inside it holds the cdi, starter solenoid, horn relay, regulator.
4)Output motor shaft drive v belt pulley modified to accept a splined shaft and spline lock. from the factory the motor came with a toothed gear.
5)I really enjoyed the pics and updated on this site, I notice a rough frame on ebay today they want 1200 for it but I think thats too high for whats there but all it takes is someone with the a case of the simplex bug and its sold i guess:)  - Tony

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 02:48:09 AM »
key switch

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 02:48:56 AM »
Christmas tin

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 02:50:28 AM »
gas cap

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 02:58:06 AM »
Air cleaner is actually one that I cut the back mounting face and mounting bracket off, turned it around and cut an offset hole and made a rubber mounting bracket from a large hose. Offset was to clear the choke lever. the front is the bottom of a stainless hyd. filter canister I cut off then polished and epoxeyed to the filter steel mesh filter element to give it and older look than the cheap stamped tin logo that was on the other side.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
Looking good Tony.  I thought those chinese automatic engines were 3 speeds?  How was the acceleration with the whizzer pulley? Keep up the good work and bring it to Portland next year!!

PS: I saw that simplex frame for $1200, and will start a new thread in for sale section to comment on it.
Rick

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 05:37:07 AM »
Rick the bottom end acceleration was great with the Whizzer pulley so im hoping it will still be good with the Chevy pulley. Id love to go to Portland. From the pics and comments posted here it looks and sounds like a really fun and interesting event. I also thought the Chinese engine was 3 speed but either I have a defective transmission or its really a one speed. It goes on a childs 50cc ATV sold by I think a company called wildfire motors, I have to look up the name again and call them to be certain. I also am entertaining the idea of using a disc brake setup from a moped for the front wheel someday. do you know of any tires sold that fit a simplex that has a speed rating? Ive seen tires that fit and say they are for simplexes but haven't seen any speed ratings. - Tony

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »
I'm not positive, but have read that the simplex reproduction tires made by coker are rated to 92 mph.  They are not like a bicycle tire, they are much heavier.  I would feel comfortable on these at any speed that I would ride a simplex.  On a bicycle tire, I would not exceed 25 mph or so.

Tony, where do you live?
Rick

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
Rick I Live in Summerville SC, It is part of Charleston SC. Ill Check out the Coker tires too. Thanks-Tony

mywaymfg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
I'm going to be in need of a Simplex rear pully if you decide to part with yours let me know, cool project hope the Chevy pulley works out.
Jeremy c.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »
Is there no gear shift shaft coming out the side of the motor at all?  Does it have some sort of internal centrifical clutch that lets the motor idle until you open the throttle?  If it's truely an automatic, I wonder if you got a bum motor....anychance you have a warranty on it?
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
That is some great work you are doing. I really like your project.  It's alot of fun to be creative with old parts. And being a Chevy man I am diggin' that crank pulley idea!( check out the pic I posted of my old truck)  I have been getting my thoughts together for the frame I just bought but not quite ready to start the project. 

induhhwind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 06:18:56 AM »
Im going to try and reply to you three guys in this note.

Mywaymfg -I think when my bike is about finished ill take pictures of all the extra parts I have and put them on here if thats not against any rules here on this site. theres a few Simplex things Id like to maybe be able to trade/buy too.

MikeSal- Nope no gear shifter or manual clutch on theis engine. Its the same engine used on a childs atv sold by Wildfire. It is truely a one speed. It must have a cintrifical clutch because its just like a scoot/moped.... you just twist the throttle and away you go!

Kartjockey- Thanks for the complement, I do like your cool old truck! I once owned a 55 Chevy stepside and had a blast fixing it up and yes I wish I still had it.

I test drove the bike with the Chevy pulley on it and at ten mph it just idled nice and slow rpm! I think it will purr at 45 no problem. Didnt go any faster because I still have to mount  fabricated a rear brake bracket and modify the brake linkage too. But there was two issues when testing the Chevy pulley, 1) the belt slipped because the belt I used is just a little to long and I had no more room for adjustment. 2) The centrifical clutch in the engine slipped whenever I gave it gas to take off. I had to give the bike a push off to get moving and then the clutch stopped slipping. Have to do some research to see if I can modify the clutch with stronger springs weights?? I need to research this some. Anyway thats where Its at, at the moment. Ill try and take some pics of what progress that might be interesting. - Tony