Author Topic: Military Simplex  (Read 11358 times)

trooper82

• View Profile
Military Simplex
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
Hello all,

Bob, thanks for the effort putting this web site out there for all of us.

I’m building a custom Simplex based on the early 1940’s military model G-A-1. I’ve been able to find a few pictures and some bits and pieces of information on the web but not a lot. If you have any information that you would like to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Mike

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
Re: Military Simplex
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:28:50 PM »
Hi Trooper. It's a pleasure. Here are some photos of an exact WW2 Simplex bike. Gary Wollard in Fla also just built one for a military museum in La. I don't know if he has any pics, but would be willing to bet he does. I was also looking at some of the prices for various parts for the bike. I don't know how exact you want to get, but if you want period saddlebags they run about $500. The bag mount is about $100. The exact rear tail light is $80 and the windshield is $300. I was looking at that windshield and you can build one for a lot less. Pick up a generic windshield for around $60-$80 and get a duffel bag from the fleamarket $10-$20 and a little sewing would do the trick. I have a picture of original winter leg guards and those were made of aluminum. It would not be that much of a trick to make those. Anyway here are the pics and I hope they help.

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 07:59:20 AM »
Hey Troop, have you done anything else with your bike?

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting the pictures. The exhaust is finished and I'm installing the chain guard I built this weekend. I take some pictures and post my progress soon. 

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »
Bob, In regards to the windshield, is that an original or a repop for $300? I would be interested in see the leg guards, I know the Harley WLA's had them but didn't know about ones for the Simplex.

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
A pic of the current state of my Simplex build. Tail light, exhaust, chain guard and fuel filter installed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:59:51 AM by trooper82 »

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »
Another pic.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:00:28 AM by trooper82 »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »
That's pretty neat trooper!  Do you plan on riding it or just display?
Rick

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
Hello Rick, Definently I'll be displaying but it's for occasional riding too.

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
Troop, here are the leg guards. The windshield is a repop. All of the pics I showed were repops. That is such a great looking bike :)

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
Thanks for posting the info. Who has the repop windshield?

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
Troop, here are the leg guards. The windshield is a repop. All of the pics I showed were repops. That is such a great looking bike :)

Bob, you have to post that book!  I've tried calling Gary to see if he has it available, but have not heard back.
Rick

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
Rick, do you recall anything in Gary’s book about the military Simplex? Specifically I’ve been trying to find information about the lack of the crash bars on the military model and how the footboards were mounted. I’ve seen pictures of the military Simplex in WW2 on the web site, theliberator.be/militarybicycles.htm and in all the pics, no crash bars . I emailed Johan for more info but he only has what he's posted.

Here’s a pic of Father Sampson, 101st Airborne Division on one in Holland. Sept ’44. This photo has been cropped but I have an un-cropped and the footboards are there. 

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »
The 1 picture of a military G-A-1 in Gary's book shows the crash bars just like the civilian version.

The was also at least 1 3 wheeler sold to the Navy, painted orange, the Navy's flight line color.  There is a brass tag on the head  " C.N.O. #13892".
Rick