Author Topic: More Power ??  (Read 9215 times)

Red56Automatic

• View Profile
More Power ??
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Has any one had any luck getting more oomph out of one of these ?? I'm not a small person and we have hills here in Tennessee. I have to duck walk it just to get up the hill out of my drive way. Any easy tuning ideas ? I've got the carb where it runs pretty good once it's going. But it just doesn't make much horsepower. Start up and a hill and if I don't have a good running start or it's too steep, I'm back to having to leg it.

Thanks

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: More Power ??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 12:25:42 PM »
Has any one had any luck getting more oomph out of one of these ?? I'm not a small person and we have hills here in Tennessee. I have to duck walk it just to get up the hill out of my drive way. Any easy tuning ideas ? I've got the carb where it runs pretty good once it's going. But it just doesn't make much horsepower. Start up and a hill and if I don't have a good running start or it's too steep, I'm back to having to leg it.

Thanks

I'd thought of maybe designing a hemi piston and head to go on this type engine but the single main bearing design won't hold up to much more power than it already puts out I would imagine.(I could be wrong)... whatcha think guys?

GaryS
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »
One of the old timers told me he was getting around 7 horsepower out of a simplex motor. He was making his own rods and Pistons.  The simplex motor has 2 main bearings, and I don't think that is a problem.  This gentleman told me he actually destroked the crank, and this allowed better rod angle and more rpm's.
Rick

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
One of the old timers told me he was getting around 7 horsepower out of a simplex motor. He was making his own rods and Pistons.  The simplex motor has 2 main bearings, and I don't think that is a problem.  This gentleman told me he actually destroked the crank, and this allowed better rod angle and more rpm's.

That would be someting worth posting! or maybe have a "HOW TO" section on "GOOSING" these engines.

Oh by the way H.F. has the 6.5 preditor engines on sale for $99.00 again

http://www.harborfreight.com/65-HP-212cc-OHV-Horizontal-Shaft-Gas-Engine-EPA-69730.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiODMzMjk0MDAiLCJza3UiOiI2OTczMCIsImlzIjoiOTkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiODgxMCJ9%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2415b&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c2415b

you'll need the coupon

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=2415&campaign=b&page=coupon1.html&cust=61397152188&keycode=1021&single=true&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2415b&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c2415b

GaryS
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:14:30 PM by Gary S »
Never post anything on an open forum that you would not say in a crowded elevator.

Gary S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »
One of the old timers told me he was getting around 7 horsepower out of a simplex motor. He was making his own rods and Pistons.  The simplex motor has 2 main bearings, and I don't think that is a problem.  This gentleman told me he actually destroked the crank, and this allowed better rod angle and more rpm's.

Where can I get more info on this modification... does he make these for sale?

Gary S

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »

Where can I get more info on this modification... does he make these for sale?

Gary S

Sorry, that is all I have.  The man no longer makes parts.
Rick

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:27:47 AM »
This comment comes with a grain of salt as I havent really taken a close look at the caveman trans on my bike yet.Would maybe a solution  be to play with the ratios of the pulleys on the trans to give a little better bottom & top ends?.....basically thinking out loud here. I would be interested in hearing any thoughts on this.
If it came to you in a box it 's not Custom, it's just bought.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:44:05 AM »
This comment comes with a grain of salt as I havent really taken a close look at the caveman trans on my bike yet.Would maybe a solution  be to play with the ratios of the pulleys on the trans to give a little better bottom & top ends?.....basically thinking out loud here. I would be interested in hearing any thoughts on this.
I don't think that would help, as the automatic adjusts the ratio.  What we need is more horsepower. You can only do so much with 4-5 hp.

If gearing higher was the answer, every car would go 200mph, but you have to overcome weight and drag.
Rick

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »
I realize only so much can be done with the given lack of hp. I dont have an automatic & the op didnt state what he has. Gearing may just be enough to keep him from having to duck walk the bike. Apart from pouching it out as far as you could go, little bigger carb & valves, along with mild port job. Anything above that would prove to be quite an ambitious project.

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:09:47 PM »
I guess the only way to boost the hp would be the introduction on (NOS).

Jeff L

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »
My bad...seems he has a 56 automatic.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
I wonder what the low and high gear ratios are on an automatic.  I wonder if they are the same as low and high on a shifter bike?
Rick

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:20 PM »
Here read this.   ;D

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 06:41:57 AM »
Thanks Reese!  I have never seen anyone get to 50 mph on a Simplex.  I have recorded 44 mph on one of mine, but that was on a short stretch.  I plan on taking it out on the road next to Portland this summer and see what I can get up to!  Anyone want to run with me to see how fast our bikes are?
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 06:45:43 AM »
I will , IF it will run that long . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)