Author Topic: The Company Brochure  (Read 1801 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Company Brochure
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »
Wow, that is a really cool brochure kartjockey posted.  I recognized a lot of the office furniture, drafting boards, & machinery from when I first got into the engineering/manufacturing field. 

Did you notice the tape on the crash bars to keep the paint from getting nicked.  I was surprised that they said each bike gets dyno tested.  I wonder how they handled the fuel (were they shipped with some small amount of gas in the tank, or did they disconnect the fuel line for the test stand)?
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Company Brochure
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
That is an awesome brochure.  I'm going to print a copy for myself.
Thanks,   Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »
Speqking of the Company, I google earthed the address of the Simplex factory.....it's part of the parking lot for what appears to be a Home Depot store......sad sad sad.....
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:16:20 AM »
I read an article in an old walneck's cycle trader about simplex that said it was a home depot.  Search google for October 1995 walneck's and read the article.  It is available on google books to read for free.  I should try to get a copy of it.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
That is a neat article.  It stinks that I got involved so late in the game.  Sounds like Mr. Wollard was the keeper of the flame.  I wonder if he was ever able to get that convention in New Orleans off the ground.

It looks like it'll be the end of April before we go to florida to visit the brother-in-law.  When we do go, I'm going to try to visit the Wollards to see what's left of the collection.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
I just read the Cycle Mag article Rick posted.  I notice they don't mention the availability of the larger cylinder displacement (150cc), so this might mean that '57 was the first year (although the article really doesn't talk about any optional features being available).

I did like the picture of old man Clymer riding the bike backwards......today they'd crucify him for promoting un-safe habits!
Mike Sal