Author Topic: Cautiously Stoked about a bike  (Read 3719 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cautiously Stoked about a bike
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:29:59 PM »
A simplex that was on ebay a few weeks ago turned up again today.  It's an ad, rather than an auction & the price listed was $1500.  It looked like it had been somewhat restored some years ago.

I called the guy & he was bummed to find out the price that was listed.  His business partner was supposed to re-list the bike at a higher price, but he told me that since I was the first to call, he would honor the price. 

He runs a bicycle shop & collects old bicycles.  He's interested in my '36 Hawthorne bike, so I offered to trade it in to help offset his cost delta.

He's 3 hours away, so Saturday is the soonest I can get there.  If nothing happens to muck up the deal, I think I've made a pretty good deal.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cautiously Stoked about a bike
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Hmmm....he's already revised the ad price up to 2 grand.  As soon as he mentioned an issue with the advertized price, I made a hard copy of the original ad.  Who knows how the deal will turn out.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
Ok experts, what "simplex specific" things do I need to look out for when I look at the bike in Springfield?  I ran a used bike repair business a long time ago, so am used to seeing normal wear & tear things, but was wondering if there are any critical features to pay attention to.
thanks,
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
By far, the hardest part to find for a simplex is an engine.  If the engine is missing and you want to restore back to stock, it may be a long hunt for an engine.  Just about everything else is available through Wayne, mostly as reproduction parts.
Post a link to the ad for the bike you bought, or some pictures.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
Just type in "simplex servi cycle" on an ebay search & you can see the ad & several pictures.  It's obvious the bike had some form of restoration done sometime in the past.  The lady who sold to the current owner said it had been setting in the garage about 10 years after the death of her husband.  The current owner says the motor feels like it has adequate compression, but he has not tried to start it.

I'm going up Saturday to look atit & hopefully buy it.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »
I get nothing when I type in "simplex servi cycle"! Weird, post the link or item #.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »
Ahhh....now I see....he has it listed under the "motorcycles" section & in "other makes".
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
I finally found it!  For some reason, if I search classified ads, even if I increase the search area to 2000 miles, it doesn't appear.  I put Indianapolis in, and it works.

Here's the link:   http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Simplex-Servi-Cycle-Barn-Fresh-/270905191140?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f13352ae4#v4-37

That bike looks really good.  I would probably pay the $2000, but for $1500, even better.  That has a pretty rare simplex speedo on it.  Just clean it up and ride it!!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
thanks for posting the link.  I'm not very good with the computer stuff.  The guy told me the lady had 2 of the bikes when she sold this one to him (didn't say what happened to the other one). 

Are there any specific things I need to keep an eye out for when I"m looking it over (other than normal stuff)?  I'm thinking cracks in the crankcase would be hi on the list (how often do you guys see a screwed up crankcase casting?).
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
Update....I'm now the owner of this Simplex.  The good news is I got an even better deal (on cost)....the bad news is there's no title.....even worse news is I can't play with it tonight.  The minute I unloaded it into the shop, the wife said it was time to get ready to go to my niece's wedding reception......arghhhh.

More later
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »
Happy for you Mike. First chance you get lock yourself up in your shop with your simplex. Leave all communication devices in the house. Those early moments of alone time with your new ride are too great to be interrupted!!