Author Topic: Bike Registry?  (Read 6007 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bike Registry?
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:44:17 AM »
Could we create a registry page on the site for logging in our bikes?  I'm a nut over stats (I'm working on a registry for 1966 studebakers for the studebaker club).  I think it would be interesting to see the serial number spread of the surviving bikes out there.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bike Registry?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
I was looking back thru earlier topics & saw mention of a "Pat Williams" who has done some serial number collecting.  Is he on this site?  If not, could we contact him regarding sharing some of this info?
Mike sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
Pat is the one who gave me some info on my bikes.  He used to run a simplex website some years ago, but has moved on.  I tried contacting him to see if I could get a copy of the database he compiled, which from my understanding, is pretty extensive, but to no avail.  I have heard through others that he is very busy with work; maybe one day we can get the info from him.

As a side note, maybe I should start a thread for people to post engine, year and model info and compile it into a running list.  Any suggestions for this would be appreciated, as I'm not much of a computer guy.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
Ya, I'm not much of a computer guy either.....it's easy for me to suggest things, but not so much on being able to provide help in doing it.

Can we create a "registry" page which contains an open excel file (?) which people could populate fields.....like frame #, Motor #, Year (if known), Location, "Description (could be a slot for a little background on the bike), etc.
Mike Sal
(paying more attention to the commercials than the game tonight.....so far the apocalypse chevy has been my favorite).

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Mike, I'm not sure how to go about that.  I was thinking if people just posted what they had, I would add to a "master post" and then delete each individual message to keep it neat.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
I've traded a couple emails with Bill Erickson & he tells me that he knows Pat Williams very well & they both have quite a few bike serial numbers.  He says Pat is extremely busy with his work & doesn't have time to fool with the bikes these days.  He also said they had heard there was a scam on the internet where bad guys could use your serial numbers to file for new titles in an attempt to steal bikes.  I've never heard of that one.  Our Studebaker club & our Kaiser/Frazer club both have on-line registries for certain models.  Who Knows.

Scrounging thru this sight, I've come up with 13 sets of numbers.  The oldest being engine 205 (Slick), and the newest M23561B (mine)
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »
I've traded a couple emails with Bill Erickson & he tells me that he knows Pat Williams very well & they both have quite a few bike serial numbers.  He says Pat is extremely busy with his work & doesn't have time to fool with the bikes these days.  He also said they had heard there was a scam on the internet where bad guys could use your serial numbers to file for new titles in an attempt to steal bikes.  I've never heard of that one.  Our Studebaker club & our Kaiser/Frazer club both have on-line registries for certain models.  Who Knows.

Scrounging thru this sight, I've come up with 13 sets of numbers.  The oldest being engine 205 (Slick), and the newest M23561B (mine)
Mike Sal

I have never heard of that either.  I'm not sure how we could proceed with this, but many car clubs have registries, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.  I wonder if all DMV data is in the public domain anyway?
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:13:19 PM »
Ya, it's a shame we can't access their data.  I'm always wanting to find out "how many are out there" when I get a new toy.  My '66 Studebaker was built early in the run of the last 8935 cars built by Studebaker.  We're still looking for other survivors, but it appears less than 1,000 exist now.

Looking over the serial numbers that are posted here, it's interesting that hardhead's bike (08468) was 62 frames later than Pete57's (08468), but they wound up on opposite sides of the country (new york vs. Alaska).

I stopped by the DMV & picked up the forms to try & get a title for my bike.  They want an appraisal and a bond for the value, and a notorized statement of purchase......what a pain.  Living here in the sticks it's hard to get an appraisal for anything.  When I bought my model T ('26 Touring), I had to get an appraisal for the insurance company.....took 2 weeks to find somebody "qualified".
Mike Sal

Kustomkarma

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
Is there a way to limit who can view the serial number list to just registered members?

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Hmmmm.....I just went to the Illinois DMV website to see if my bike was currently registered or titled (hoping I could find the owner's name).  Turns out my frame number is the VIN number for a "A" class trailer (like you'd haul a 4 wheeler or car around).  Looks like I'll have to use the motor number for a VIN number to get it registered.
Mike Sal

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
Is there a way to limit who can view the serial number list to just registered members?

If it is an attachment, only registered members can see it.  But, anyone can become a member, as there is no real way to screen out someone up to no good.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:21:43 PM »
Been trading some more correspondance w/ Bill & he said he knew of a '56 w/ frame #15620 (mine is 15249) and some '57 engine numbers that range from 21617 thru 24827 (my engine is 23561).  He thinks my bike is a '57 instead of a '58.  He also said there were some left over '57's registered as '58's (Kaiser did this in '53 and again in '55 with left over cars).
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
Mike, that is interesting.  Keep going with your registry, and you can become the go to guy for "what year is my bike?" questions.

Rick
Rick

Driver

• someday...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
Mike, I'm not sure how to go about that.  I was thinking if people just posted what they had, I would add to a "master post" and then delete each individual message to keep it neat.

Rick

Rick, I've run several Forums, moderated others as well, it's pretty simple. You create a thread, Yours is the first post and it contains the compiled list. Anyone posting new info you just copy and structure their info and insert it back to the first post. People not wanting to do it publicly can anonymize it by sending it to you in a PM. NEVER delete anything.

In fact, in retrospect, my advice is make it to where after a week or so nobody has the capability to alter posts. I've seen entire boards gutted when someone gets a nose bent out of shape and deletes picts, posts, everything making orphans out of thousands of posts. A board is only as solid as it's content.

As far as people stealing SN's, it's public info, those shady types could just as easily, and more likely to, just steal it and grind it off.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:57:46 PM by Driver »
jack of all trades, master of none...

Kustomkarma

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 08:38:52 PM »
Who should I ask if I wanted to find out the year of my frame?