Author Topic: Vintage Motor Bike Club Meet  (Read 5661 times)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Vintage Motor Bike Club Meet
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:35:03 AM »
Is anyone going to the VMBC meet in Portland, IN?  The event takes place July 11-15, and from what I've been told is the largest meet of its kind each year.

I'm thinking about driving there, as I have a line on another parts bike that I may buy on the way there.
Rick

chainmaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vintage Motor Bike Club Meet
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
  Im not going, but a guy I know from another forum goes every year.. and says it is a real good time and it is the biggest one of the year.

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »
I went a couple of times and if you are planning to buy any bikes coming in off the street you better be at the gate waiting  :)  It's a darn good show.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
I got here this evening, sunday, and the event doesn't officially start until Tuesday, but the place is packed!  I took a quick walk around and they have everything imaginable. I will take a ton of pictures and post some when I get home.
Rick

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
Looking forward to the show  :)

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
Fellow Simplex Owners
 The Vintage Motor Bike Club is having there 2012 Meet on July 9th-13th ,2012  Hope to see you there. See attachment. Bill Marcum

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »
I'm going!
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »
What days are the best to attend the convention?  I don't think I can pull the entire week. 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
Mike, I went last year, got there on the sunday before it officially starts, and the place was already packed.  I had a great time just walking around, talking to people, seeing all kinds of stuff I never knew existed.  I didn't even bring a bike last year as mine was not quite finished, unless you count the 54 I bought in Ohio on the way there.  I could have sold it for twice the money I paid, judging by the prices I saw on some bikes.

When the meet gets closer, we will have to set up a day and time to get together with everyone.  I say over at the wings and rings restaurant!

Rick
Rick

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
Rick  When you went , were they selling parts on Sunday the day you got there? Bill Marcum 8)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
Yes, it looked like everything was in full swing.  I have been told that if you see something you want, jump on it quick!

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I joined the yahoo group the vmbc guys have (just type in vintage motor bike club....only a small handful of guys are on it & it's pretty slow on traffic) a few days go & asked them the same question regarding when to show up.  It appears that if you want to shop, show up Friday or Saturday.  If you want to hang out & participate in the activities, anytime during the week is good.  I'm kinda curious as to what kinds of stuff do they auction on Wednesday....just donated stuff, personal stuff....??

I guess I'll have to wait until the time gets a little closer.  At least there's no reason my bike won't be ready to take along. 

I just got the spring issue of the vmbc magazine & there's a few pic's of some Simplexes.  Nice story about a guy who got a Simplex Motor Scooter in 1960 as a kid, then got another one in '08.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:02:48 AM »
Mike, that must be the Friday or saturday before the show actually begins?

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 05:36:41 AM »
Oops, sorry for not clarifying that.  Yes, the weekend before the meet officially opens is when things are hopping according to the vmbc guys I've talked to. 

Prior to the official opening, the town park charges 15 bucks a night to camp in the park.  Once the meet starts, the club takes over & charges 60 dollars for the week (no dailey rate).
Mike Sal 

bill marcum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 06:44:30 AM »
How do you get an issiue of the mag. do you have to join VMBC or can you buy one. Bill Marcum 8)