Author Topic: Vintage Motor Bike Club  (Read 2030 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Vintage Motor Bike Club
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
I was just watching the youtube video of last year's Portland get together & then reviewing their website.  In the links section, I notice that the servi-cycle site is not mentioned as a link.  They seem to be heavy on the cushmans, but shouldn't  we get our site linked to theirs?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vintage Motor Bike Club
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »
Good idea.  I'll see if I can make it happen.  BTW, did you see the Simplexes of Bill Miller on there?  Those honda conversions are really well done and very ridable.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
A while back I gathered up the parts to re-create a Popular Science magazine project from '36, called "Power Bike".  They show how to convert a bicycle to gas power (in the article, they used a 1hp briggs engine).  I wanted a little more power so I bought one of those robbin 6hp overhead valve engines from harbor freight.  I've still not got started on the project.

Now that I've seen the motor bike club, I'm thinking about taking the pre-war Hawthorn bicycle I have to the meet this summer & selling it & the other parts to help offset a little of what I'll probably be spending on a Simplex. 

I'm probably 5 hours from Portland, & July is a slow month for ww2 reenacting, so I'll be there for sure.
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »
I sent in my application today for the vmbc.  I plan on going to their convention this summer.  From checking out the pictures from last year, it looks like there were only a handfull of servi-cycles there.  Do they give our brand a section, or are all the brands mixed together?
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »
There is a group of guys that gather on the "Simplex Hill".  It's more like a big campout, with people all over the place.  I had a great time last year and will be going again this year.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:22:24 PM »
I've been trading a few emails with Darren, the vmbc president & he says he'll try to get our website linked to theirs pretty soon.  Their current web master is leaving the club so he has to pick up the slack for a while, so it might take a little time.

Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »
I have sent them an email also, about putting up a link.  I also just joined the club.  I have some old issues of their "magazine", and some of it is pretty interesting.
Rick