Author Topic: Motor Bikes & Horseless Carriages  (Read 2988 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Motor Bikes & Horseless Carriages
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
Do any of you folks also goof around with other forms of motoring?  There's a yahoo group called HCR Builders Group, for people who make replicas of Horseless Carriages.  Some are full scale, others slightly smaller.  These are guys who want old cars, but can't afford the real thing.  There have been some awsome builds so far....like curved dash oldsmobiles & Ford quadracycles.  One guy is building a replica of the original Daimler.  Some of the other guys build the projects you used to find in the old Popular Science magazines (go carts, motor bikes, etc).  Some of the guys build their own engines from scratch, others use lawnmower or 4 wheeler engines.

Some day I plan to build a replica of a 1908 Brush Pie Wagon.  I've got a spare Model T frame & axle set aside for the project.  Not sure what engine to use yet.
Mike Sal

trooper82

• View Profile
Re: Motor Bikes & Horseless Carriages
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »
Hello Mike,

I’ve run across the horselesscarriagereplicas.com web site in the past, pretty neat stuff. There’s a link on there for plans for a “visible gas pump” that I ordered. I’ve been contemplating building one for a while for outside my garage/barn. Here’s my other project.

Mike 

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:12 AM »
I belong to the horseless carriage group also.  I've got a body base already started up in the wood shop of a replica of a 1908 Brush Pie Wagon.  Those guys on the group site are very talented  Their yahoo group site is called HCRBuildersGroup.

A good blacksmith friend of mine in the area also has a Shay.  His was in good condition when he got it so he didn't have to do any work to it.  He also has one of those replica's of the curved dash oldsmobiles (the metal ones they made in the late 50's.

If Sonya would just hurry up & win that lucky lottery ticket, I'd have more time for all the projects I've started......
Mike Sal

trooper82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Good eye Mike that you knew that my car was a Shay. The 1905 REO covered in the May 2011 HCR Newsletter is a really beautiful car. Makes me want to make more room in the barn for another project.

Where in Southern IL are you at?

Mike

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »
I had always wanted a curved dash olds & Lee's rig showed me that it wasn't that hard (or expensive) to have one.  There's a guy near me in Evansville indiana that has 5 original curved dashes & he gives rides in one of them at our show at the museum every year.  I'm lucky to have that kind of access to real ones.  When I ran accross the delivery wagon idea, I decided I'd use Lee's Model N plans & adapt them.  I know what you mean about finding more room....I've got way too much stuff!!!

Those Shay's are getting pricey these days.  My friend bob has a lot of fun with his.

I'm in the country north of a town called Fairfield, which is 2 hours east of St. Louis, or 75 miles west of Evansville, Indiana.
Mike Sal