Author Topic: WICO COIL  (Read 22068 times)

oil-lamp

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: WICO COIL
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2014, 09:56:17 AM »
I think I will try them when I reassemble my motors. Why build one when you can build two at twice the cost.  8)

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Always nice to have a spare . ;)

Pete . :)
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2014, 02:03:41 PM »
Pete, can these be mounted on the outside of the engine, or do they have to go behind the flywheel? It would be nice to have access to it w/o removing the flywheel. It's not real clear by the instructions you posted if it has to be protected from weather???

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2014, 03:07:10 PM »
The Nova 2 is weatherproof and can be mounted pretty much anywhere as long as it's connected properly .

But , once in service , I doubt it will ever have to be messed with . I would solder and shirk wrap the critical connection , eliminating the possibility of corrosion or loose connection ever becoming a problem . And once the ground has been shined and connected , I'd think about a dab of silicone over it .

"Is this it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ELECTRONIC-TRANSISTORIZED-IGNITION-MODULE-NOVA-II-/250831137647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a66b36b6f "

That's ^ the module we're talking about .

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:11:41 PM by pd »

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
My advise is to never use silicon sealer on a soldered connection, unless you can guarantee that you've removed 100% of the solder flux.  An ingredient of the silicon that makes it cure (self vulcanizing) doesn't get along with the rosin used as flux & it will attack the joint.  I learned this lessen the hard way many years ago.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »
My advise is to never use silicon sealer on a soldered connection, unless you can guarantee that you've removed 100% of the solder flux.  An ingredient of the silicon that makes it cure (self vulcanizing) doesn't get along with the rosin used as flux & it will attack the joint.  I learned this lessen the hard way many years ago.
Mike Sal

I agree , Mike .

You'll notice that "I'd think about a dab of silicone over ( it )" the ground connection , which is a screw type connection . It really isn't even needed there unless the normal climate is humid or otherwise detrimental to bare metal .

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
The bottom line on the Nova II instructions are "Not recommended for use on flywheels with multiple magnets" Are there more magnets in the Simplex mag  for the lighting coil? I am thinking ahead for my build.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:02:35 AM by Gramps »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
This from earlier in this thread :

author=bohica2xo
"PD:

The multiple magnet warning comes from the fact that it will fire when the magnets cross the coil.  On a 2 stroke with balance magnets like old Echo stuff, this means the plug fires a second time @ bdc.  Harmless in those motors.   On stuff with 6 sets of magnets used to produce DC power, there will be misfires of course.

The little chinese 2 strokes we use in the bicycles fire every 180 degrees from the factory.   I would try one on the simplex engine without a second thought.

B."

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
OK, thanks. Guess I should read the the whole thread before I post.
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »
No worries .

Bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
Is that nova just the trigger?  If so you'll need a cdi and a coil with plug wire.  The pics on the eBay link ,I don't see any of that.
  A whizzer uses a fairly generic system....a magnet on the outside of the flywheel.. Pickup and a cdi and coil. I know the parts can be had cheap online if you buy from the Chinese bike suppliers(really cheap).    Then they sell a test harness for $20 used to test any cdi and stator and voltage regulator, that could easily be used as a complete harness. 

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 04:09:09 PM »
Is that nova just the trigger?  If so you'll need a cdi and a coil with plug wire.  The pics on the eBay link ,I don't see any of that.
  A whizzer uses a fairly generic system....a magnet on the outside of the flywheel.. Pickup and a cdi and coil. I know the parts can be had cheap online if you buy from the Chinese bike suppliers(really cheap).    Then they sell a test harness for $20 used to test any cdi and stator and voltage regulator, that could easily be used as a complete harness. 

Bruce ,

From what I understand , the nova simply replaces the points and condenser .
Simplex has the ignition coil and magnets inside the stator .

Sonrisers

• View Profile
    • www.elegantoakandmore.com
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »
I ordered the nova 2 off of ebay last night, you can buy 2 of them for $23, or buy 1 for $13, I just got the one, I'm gonna play with it when I get my parts from Wayne and see if I can makes sparks fly, if it don't work, I still will have the points and condenser from wayne. I would still like to find out how to make it work w/o any ignition from the magneto...I think that is what Bruce is talking about???

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
I ordered the nova 2 off of ebay last night, you can buy 2 of them for $23, or buy 1 for $13, I just got the one, I'm gonna play with it when I get my parts from Wayne and see if I can makes sparks fly, if it don't work, I still will have the points and condenser from wayne. I would still like to find out how to make it work w/o any ignition from the magneto...I think that is what Bruce is talking about???

You still need the coils and flywheels. This is just a trigger, as far as I can see.
Rick