Author Topic: Simplex in Smithsonian  (Read 5389 times)

rldebuse

• View Profile
Simplex in Smithsonian
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
This came from Chuck Cuddington.

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simplex in Smithsonian
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »

Click on the picture, zoom in then move it around.  Lots of interesting things on this bike.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_843033

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »
Simplex Servi-Cycle
 In collection
 From the Smithsonian Collection

The Museum's Servi-Cycle, designed by Paul Treen and built by the Simplex Manufacturing Corporation, of New Orleans, Louisiana, features simplicity in every respect. The motor bears the number 19351, indicating that it was built in 1935 and was the first of the series.

The single-cylinder, 2-cycle, 2-horsepower engine is air cooled and equipped with a rotary valve. The tiny carburetor on the back of the motor is controlled by a wire operating from a knob located behind the steering head, and a lever near the right grip operates a compression release.

To start the engine, the operator opens the compression release with his right hand, pushes the cycle to gain speed, then closes the release. A V-belt drive transmits power to the rear wheel. There is no clutch, so the engine must he switched off in stopping. This is accomplished by pressing an electric button, of the type generally used to operate a bicycle horn, located near the left grip. This apparently shorts the low-tension side of the magneto, an Eisemann Model 71L bearing the serial number 2003.

The tires bear the name of the Simplex Manufacturing Company and are marked "26 x 2.250." An ordinary cycle coaster brake, made by Morrow, is operated by a pedal at the left of the engine. The bicycle's stand can be moved up to form a footrest. The gasoline tank is in front of the seat, and the muffler is to the left of the rear wheel. An electric headlamp, mounted on the cycle's spring fork, receives current from the magneto.

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »
I get a "kick" out of the "dual-purpose" center stand/foot rest engineering.  It's funny that the idea of a "speed/throttle control knob" on a bike never "caught on"...LOL.  Although, a Chrysler Imperial (Demo-derby car) I had, used a knob for adjusting the cruise control)   

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »
I get a "kick" out of the "dual-purpose" center stand/foot rest engineering.  It's funny that the idea of a "speed/throttle control knob" on a bike never "caught on"...LOL.  Although, a Chrysler Imperial (Demo-derby car) I had, used a knob for adjusting the cruise control)   

Every Simplex has speed/throttle control.  Just set the twist grip and let go. No throttle return springs on a Servi-cycle.  Works great for texting!  LOL
Rick

carryall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 06:46:05 AM »
 I suppose it helps while pushing it up steep hills also?  "poke-poke" LOL

Gramps

• View Profile
    • US Scooter Museum
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 07:15:04 AM »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right,
There's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.