Author Topic: Info and year of bike  (Read 4632 times)

mcdave

Info and year of bike
« on: July 05, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »
Hello.
I am a newbie to the forum and still trying to figure out how to do things so please bear with me. Have a Simplex automatic frame number 16359  no motor and plenty of missing parts.I will add some photos soon as I figure out how. Downloaded a parts manual from kartjockey appreciated that thanks. Alot of good information here.
Thanks
Dave
 Tried to resize these photos hope it it better.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:44:41 AM by mcdave »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Info and year of bike
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
Welcome Dave.  Looks like a good start.  Finding an engine may take a while, as they rarely come up for sale, and when the do, they are not cheap.  Do you have the front wheel and fenders?

Going by the frame number, it is either a very late 1958 or very early 1959 model.

Where do you live?
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
Are you going to Portland next week.  The Vintage Motorbike Meet is awesome. And so close for you!
Rick

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
Don't know anything about the show or Portland? First time on forum and will have to google for some more info. Thanks for the heads up Ricks>

Here you go.  Largest small bike meet in the world.

http://www.vintagemotorbike.org/
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 07:07:59 AM »
Dave, what does the small print on your gas tank say?  I can make out what appears to be "tubing" at the end.  Also send me a note with your info so I can update the registry (what state are you from, what's your last name, what are your plans for the bike, etc).

I think your bike could be anywhere from a '57 thru early '59 (I've heard that there were a lot of left over '57's that were sold as '58's).
Mike Sal

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:47 AM »
Dave, no I haven't found any emails from you.  you can use my home address (some guys would send things to my job address at Airtex, but I no longer work there) which is miso7@wabash.net

I'd like to see a close up photo of that name on the gas tank.

Also, I notice that the lug for the brake light switch on your frame is behind the motor, not further back & underneath.  This is curious.......I wonder if they changed back & forth on the type of switch they used?  I know some earlier frames had the "top side" switch and some later bikes (like my 15249 frame) have the "low side" switch mounting.

thanks,
Mike Sal
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:25:29 AM by Mike Sal »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
Mike, in reference to the brake light switch, I was just told that 1956 was mounted to the top of the frame rail, and 1957 and later was underneath.  They used different switches.  Earlier models with brake lights were an add on item and used a braket that wrapped around the frame.
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »
Rick, does your '53 have a switch bracket?  All of the "old timers" at Portland thought my bike was a 57 or later instead of a '56, even though I think my frame number is pretty early for a '57. 
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »
Mike, I just came into some info on model years, and it looks like yours is a very late 1956.

Niether my 53 or 54 has a brake light.
Rick