Author Topic: Rolling frame  (Read 2002 times)

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rolling frame
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:58:40 AM »
This is the frame I picked up in Portland. The number stamped on it is 08104. There is some rust pitting around the number and the 8 could be a 6 but I am pretty sure it is an 8. I could have done without the bike fenders and would have appreciated the wheel pulley being there. But hey it's in my garage!  My son Travis was cruising the grounds and saw this right when they unloaded it. He called me and I bought it right away.

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rolling frame
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
It's a nice start for sure.  That's the thing about swap meets.....all the good deals are scooped up before the meet even starts, or you just happen to be there when a jewel is unloaded.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
Tom, after checking the registry, and using all my powers of deduction, I would think that the frame # is likely 06104.  The reason I say this is because  an 08104 number would be a 1954 model, and you have a straight leg frame with an early style brake pedal.

Mike, you've been home a week and we haven't gotten an update on the registry?  What have you been doing with all that free time?  LOL!!
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
I agree with you Rick about the likely serial number on Tom's frame.

I know....I've been a slacker.....between the new job, working on the building, and the heat, I"ve just not had my head on straight lately.  To top it off, my dad's back in the hospital (fighting cancer).  I just received info on a new guy's bike today.  I'll try to get the registry updated this week.  I haven't even touched the Simplex since I put it back in the shop when we got home.
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:04:57 AM »
I agree with you Rick about the likely serial number on Tom's frame.

I know....I've been a slacker.....between the new job, working on the building, and the heat, I"ve just not had my head on straight lately.  To top it off, my dad's back in the hospital (fighting cancer).  I just received info on a new guy's bike today.  I'll try to get the registry updated this week.  I haven't even touched the Simplex since I put it back in the shop when we got home.
Mike Sal

Mike, I'm just kidding you.  The summer is always a busy time of the year. I just got back from another 400 mile each way road trip to take the daughters for college orientation.  That puts me at 2500 miles in the last 10 days.  I'm tired of driving!

I hope your dad can get through it.  Good luck.
Rick