Author Topic: I WAS TOLD THIS IS A 1948?  (Read 3789 times)

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
I WAS TOLD THIS IS A 1948?
« on: February 11, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
NEED HELP TO DETERMINE YEAR SO I CAN START A RESTORATION .48? 49? NO SERIAL NUMBER ON FRAME TUBE... ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I WAS TOLD THIS IS A 1948?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:26 AM »
Hey Dan, good looking start there!

Well, let the investigation begin.  The handlebar style is 1949 model K or later. The Wheels are 1949 Model L or later. The curved front fender braces started some time around 1952. 1952 was also the last year of the early style gas tank.

Post some more pictures when you get a chance.
Rick

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:05 AM »
i will add more pics. tonight.  thanks for the info so far.  im going to tear her down this weekend!!  cant wait.  Dan

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »
The ignition "stalk" and curved sides on the handlebar plate also indicate very early 50's.  Did you notice the small "wing" decal on the head tube?  I think his motor is older than the bike.  Maybe it's a johnny cash bike.

What is the serial number on your crankcase (located just below the round compression plate cover on the left side of the motor)?  Did you know where to look to find a serial number on the frame?  If there is one, it will be on the bottom of the "neck", just in front of the crash bars.  (it's easiest to lay the bike on it's side to see it).  If there is a plate on the bottom of the neck, then there will be a serial number.  If it's just hollow it means no number.

You've got a great start.  Looks like somebody's already done some of the work for you.
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »
What is the serial number on your crankcase (located just below the round compression plate cover on the left side of the motor)?

NOT SURE WHERE THE "INTRODUCTIONS"  AREA IS?  BUT HERE IS MY INFO.
IM IN CALIFORNIA, JUST PURCHASED MY FIRST SIMPLEX. I WAS TOLD IT WAS A 1948, BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE GOOSE NECK. I HAVE THE FLAT PLATE. THE ENGINE NUMBER IS H10889.  I CANNOT FIND THE FRAME NUMBER NEAR THE FRONT OF THE FRAME. MAYBE TOO MANY COATS OF PAINT. I WANT TO POST PICTURES. I NEED TO FIGURE THAT BIT OUT.
Goes around , Comes around . :)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »
I was just re-reading the "summer '92" VMBC article (posted on this site) & it makes is sound more likely this may be a johnny cash bike.  The head light mount is verticle (post '53) but the other parts of the bike look pre-'53.  

Yes, we need a few more pictures.  Are your frame tubes (from the gas tank to the rear wheel) straight or bent?
Mike Sal

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
" Are your frame tubes (from the gas tank to the rear wheel) straight or bent?
Mike Sal"

From the post up there ^ ... ;)

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
" Are your frame tubes (from the gas tank to the rear wheel) straight or bent?
Mike Sal"

From the post up there ^ ... ;)

Can't really tell from that picture, but it sort of looks like a dogleg.  We need a picture from the rear.
Rick

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
" but it sort of looks like a dogleg. "

IDK , could just be the way the light is hitting it , too . ???

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:34 PM »
here are some further pictures,  this looks so so in the pics. but trust me its in need of a major overhaul.  I am in the process of getting parts and ideas. i want to powder coat and refinish everything. as for the frame number that is a no go... no number.  the block number is H10889. what do you think?  48?49? 50?  or a bit of each? hahaha . Thanks   DAN  p.s yes there is a wing sticker on down tube.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:21:26 PM by SIMPLEXUSA »

pd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »
Frame seems to be a '48 according to :

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
thanks for the document.  not sure what to think. barrel spring un-welded. 2 steps on leef spring. r/side single gas cap. any thoughts?  thanks

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 04:48:39 AM »
I'll take my guess. 1945-48 for the frame. We know this because of the location of the kickstand.  The rest of the bike looks like it was built from parts from later years.

The tank is correct for the frame.  The front end, handlebars, front fender braces, seat spring, and wheels are all from later years.

Now, the H engine is from Jan 1945-sept 1947.

There is a good chance that motor is original to that frame, but who knows.

I would date the bike a 1945-47.  Take your pick!
Rick

SIMPLEXUSA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »
wow, thanks for your knowledge.  I guess i will consider it a1948.  i saw some books & manuals for sale on this site.
i want to buy them so i can assemble this ol girl.  Now i know what year book to buy.  i will also look on youtube to see if  ant really detailed video of componants ( springs, fuel lines,transmission linkage . etc.) is available .that will make it nice for restoration process. I will post pics and progress as i go. i wonder if anyone has a 1948 they could shoot video of all the componants cloose up?  again..  thanks for your assistance on dating my bike. Dan

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »
wow, thanks for your knowledge.  I guess i will consider it a1948.  i saw some books & manuals for sale on this site.
i want to buy them so i can assemble this ol girl.  Now i know what year book to buy.  i will also look on youtube to see if  ant really detailed video of componants ( springs, fuel lines,transmission linkage . etc.) is available .that will make it nice for restoration process. I will post pics and progress as i go. i wonder if anyone has a 1948 they could shoot video of all the componants cloose up?  again..  thanks for your assistance on dating my bike. Dan

I would not consider it a 1948.  The engine is definitely earlier than that.  I would go with 1947.
Rick