Author Topic: New Servi-Cycle owner  (Read 3518 times)

JoeSimplex

• View Profile
    • Email
New Servi-Cycle owner
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »
Merry Christmas to all,
My name is Joe Morandi. I just purchased what I was told was a 1948 servi-cycle off eBay. It seems to be mostly complete. It is missing the muffler assembly, the headlight bucket, air filter, and some pully springs. The engine is not the original, the previous owner said it might have come off a '52'. I have read most of the topics on this site and am excited to hear the passion for these bikes. I look forward to sharing the struggles and successes of this restoration. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how!
Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:11:07 PM by JoeSimplex »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Servi-Cycle owner
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »
Welcome Joe.

Posting pictures is simple.  Just click the additional options button below the reply window.  Then click the chose file button.  The rest, just follow along.  You can have up to 4 pictures in one post, just don't make them too big.

Rick
Rick

JoeSimplex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 08:01:06 AM »
Thanks Rick,
Here are the first pics!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:03:19 AM by JoeSimplex »

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:34 AM »
  I don't think that is a 1948.  A 1948 model had a gooseneck steering head, which changed to the flat plate style in 1949, on the Model K.  You also have the 2" wide rims, which didn't start until the later 1949 Model L.

Look under the steering head, is there a plate with a frame number on it?  It may be hard to see.  If so, post the number and we will see if we can get you closer to the actual year.

Also, is there another number under the compression plate cover on the left side of the motor?  If so, what is it?
 Rick
Rick

JoeSimplex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
Hi Rick,
I finally got some time to look for that number on the frame under the neck, but I could not find it. I have also attached some pics to show where I was looking. The other pic is of the exhaust port on the engine. Can you determine the engines age or type by that? I need to find and purchase the manifold.
Cheers!
Joe

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
Well, I believe frame #'s started around 1951, but I'm not sure.  You looked in the right place.  I think it's a 1949 or 50.

Wayne Mahaffey will be able to supply you with a manifold. 

Is there another # on the case, just below the compression plate?  Take a picture of the side of the motor so we can see what you have.
Rick

JoeSimplex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
I talked to Wayne, he is very informative, and has everything I need to finish my project. He determined my Cycle is a '49'. I actually rode it for the first time today! It is a very fun machine to ride. I will take some more pics before I tear it down and send it to get powder coated an cromed.
I also have a manual dated 1946 ready to upload. It is a 30mb file. Contact me if this is of interest.
Cheers!
Joe