Author Topic: Tank Decals  (Read 5444 times)

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tank Decals
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
Anyone notice the logo decals on ebay?  They say they're made of vinyl.  Is this what is used for the actual tank decals?  I wouldn't think that vinyl would stand up to getting gas spilled on it.
Mike Sal

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tank Decals
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
I have bought from him before. Both waterslide and vinyl. When he said vinyl that is exactly what they were. I bought some 5" waterslide winged decals to put on a metal cabinet I have in my garage. I also the bought the word "servi-cycle" in vinyl. Both of these were quality items. The vinyl stuff makes for good decoration purposes but probably wouldn't be good for using on the bike itself.

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
Are the water slide decals on your bike from him?  He also makes garage banners.
Rick

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
I put the water decals on some cabinet doors of a cabinet I have in the garage. But  the decals I have on my Simplex were water slides too. I got them from Gary Woollard back in the middle '90s. They have been fine. Probably never had a drop of fuel spilled on them though. My bike gets really spoiled!

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
Meant to say I bought one of his banners too. I forget the exact size but it was something like 12" X 40".  I really like it but I wiil say after enlargening the image(winged logo) that big the resolution went away on him. I took a permanenet marker and went over some spots. I figure the littlest imperfections will show up when the image gets that big. Don't get me wrong. It still looks cool.

aquaelvis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
I know they make vinyl stickers that you can clear over. They use them on harleys. The vinyl is super thin, not like the stuff you see at sign companies that is made on a plotter. This stuff is done on a computer and has great resolution and color. It is about as this as a water slide. Custom ones are easy to make, run like $20-$30 depending amount of artwork clean-up needed.
When they cleared over you can't tell them from a slide but the colors can be a lot better.
Want to buy; old motorbikes, old gas pumps too!

41simplex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
Where can I get tank decals for my 41? Thanks

kartjockey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »
When I did my '48 I told Gary Wollard I needed the tank decals and that they were the winged logos. He asked me what winged logos I had and I explained them to him. So out of that conversation I believed there was another style of winged logo. But I'm not sure. I know Wayne has the logos but you might ask him if he is aware of another style of it. If you call him pass on what he says. His info is on this site.

41simplex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
Thanks I'll look into it

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
Does anyone have a "Simplex" decal or image they could scan & send to me?  I'm looking for the correct font that was used on the "Simplex automatic" decals.
thanks,
Mike Sal

Ricks

• Administrator
  • 1953 Automatic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
Here you go.  I just scanned this from a new decal.

Rick
Rick

Mike Sal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
thanks Rick, just what I needed.
Mike Sal

Bob Gurkin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
Rick. You have the Simplex logo I sent you that I used for the header on this site. It took a lot of hours in PhotoShop to get that thing right. (I'm not computer handy) I know there are ppl who advertise to make water transfer logos so it might be worth while to carry a few transfers???

BPerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
The difference in tank decals you are referring too, may not be so much a design change as it may be the manufacturing location. In 1947 Simplex expanded their operations to two additional facilities, one in Baltimore, MD and the other in San Francisco, Ca. The production lasted only three years at those facilities, those two decals are extremely rare from what I understand.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:51:20 PM by BPerry2 »